True Love Chapter Two | Teen Ink

True Love Chapter Two

March 28, 2010
By pretty__ SILVER, Menlo Park, California
pretty__ SILVER, Menlo Park, California
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game


One month later, I was on a plane to San Jose. Someone from St. Katherine’s was supposed to pick me up there. I deplaned, and headed to baggage claim.
“Gemma Blume? Is anyone here named Gemma Blume?” a man asked.
“Hello,” I said, “my name is Gemma. Are you from St. Katherine’s?”
“Yes,” he replied, “my name is Mr. Caligula. I think I am your English teacher. We have one more person to pick up. Her name is Ann Lasale. She's from Omaha, Nebraska."?I met Ann, and we became fast friends. On the way to school we wondered who we would meet, and how St. Katherine's would be.
The first person I saw was a freshman. Her name was Karlie LaBou. She introduced herself, and then turned to us.
"Which one of you is Gemma, and which Ann?" We introduced ourselves.
"Okay, Gemma will be with Caylee, and Ann will be with Kantessa. They're both sophomores."
We settled in, and Caylee reviewed the dress code with me. I had known it before I came, but I brought my heavy winter coat with me.
"Oh, Gemma, you won't be needing that. It's really warm in the winter, but I guess you're from Minnesota. Do you play a sport? What language do you take?"?"I play volleyball, and I was on varsity. I'm taking French 3 Honors."
"Oh. I play soccer for school, but I also swim outside of school. I'm in French 2, so maybe you could help me."
"Sure. Any time. Who's nice in our grade?"
"Janice Cheval is really mean, but that's how she's always been. my best friend is Alisa Magel. She's a freshman, and I've known her since 7th grade. Naomi de Sol is also nice. She's new from France.
I went into my first day not knowing anyone except Caylee and Ann. I picked up my schedule at the office, and headed off to class. I had English with Ann first. It was the only class I had with her. After roll was called, everyone introduced themselves.
Art was also really fun. I was the youngest in the class by far; everyone else was a senior. At break I hung out with Ann and Caylee. We compared schedules; I had one class with Ann, and three with Caylee. I was introduced to Caylee’s best friend Alisa; she was really nice. Caylee’s old best friend was Janice, who completely turned on her last year.

I finished out my day, and left to go back to the dorms. I was so tired from walking up and down the hills, I took a nap. I woke up screaming.
“Gemma! What’s wrong?” Caylee was staring straight at me, like she was worried.
“Oh, its nothing,” I said.
“No, honest. You can tell me,” she said.
“Well, two months ago, my boyfriend was killed in a car accident. I was in that car with him. I haven’t gotten over it yet. That’s why I moved out here.”
“Oh my god. I’m so sorry!” she said. I reassured her that I was okay, and then proceeded to help her with French.

I went back outside because it was a nice day. I walked over to the guys’ dorm. Maybe I could find someone to talk to.
“Hey, I’m Gemma,” I confidently said.
“Hey,” said a cute guy, “my name is Christian, and I’m a sophomore. So is Alex. He’s from Minnesota, from St. Simon’s.”
Oh my god. I know him. He was the hottest guy in my class, but he moved schools early in the year.
“Hey Gemma. I wasn’t expecting to see you here. How’s Tom? How’s life?”
“Alex, Tom’s dead. He died in a car crash. But I’m here, and I’m dealing slowly with it. So my life isn’t great, but it’s getting better. Much better.”
For the next two hours, we talked about everything under the sun. He told me who the good teachers were, who was nice, and everything I wanted to know.
“Hey,” he said, “it’s six thirty. Time for dinner. I’m warning you, the food is not very good. But the cookies are really good.”
Alex and I became friends. I believe that Caylee became jealous of all the time I was spending with him. I had promised myself that I would never love again, but I was slowly falling for Alex.
By the end of the week, I was definitely in love with him. I remembered my previous heartbreak, and how I’d made a promise to Angel.
“I won’t fall in love for a long time. I promise,” I told Angel right before I left.
I remembered this as I went to dinner. Tonight was lasagna and yogurt. I’m super allergic to dairy, so I ate pasta. I usually sit with Alex, Caylee, Ann, and Kantessa.
“So Caylee, how’s life with a roomie?” Kantessa asked.
“Oh, it’s super fun. Gemma helps me with my homework, and I help her in Chemistry.”
I was glad to see that I was loved. Soon after, Alex asked me to take a walk with him.
“So Gemma. I have a question to ask you. I know that you’re probably still grieving over Tom, but I was wondering. Would you like to go with me to a movie sometime?”
“Sure Alex.” I was super calm, but inside I was jumping up and down. I said good night, and headed inside the dorm.


The author's comments:
written in study hall over the course of two weeks. it hasnt been edited, so any criticism is nice and appreciated.