Wishing on a Star | Teen Ink

Wishing on a Star

By BlueInk94 PLATINUM, Valley Park, Missouri
BlueInk94 PLATINUM, Valley Park, Missouri

Starlight, Star bright
The first star I see tonight
Why can’t I have this one wish I ask tonight?
Give me wings so I may fly
And leave behind this world of plight

I sit at that window, every night, for every wish. I stare at the darkened sky, searching for a star. The same star every time, my star. Isn’t it ironic that in a galaxy of stars, a universe, I should wish on that one star in the endless sky? Is it foolish to hope that if I persist until my one wish is heard, it may be granted? Or will my star burn out and lose its light to oblivion? For every wish I make, another mile is added to the distance between me, my world and my star.
Even if I were left stranded in a starless dream for the rest my life, I would not stop sitting at that window, and wishing on my star. I will not stop until I am given wings, so I may abandon this already wasted world. I would fly into eternity and never look back at what lay behind. I wish to leave this damaged world on strong, willful wings. So I will keep wishing until my star falls from it perch on the black painted sky and into my waiting lap.
“Starlight, Star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may I wish I might
Have the wish I ask tonight”

I close my eyes, and reach a desperate hand toward the shining light, too high in the faraway sky. Then allow myself to fall back onto the floor, so I may weep silent tears at the center of a hollow world.
And when I reopen my eyes, I am looking down at the world, so far below. The hollow world lay below my feet, and I am perched on the black painted sky, sitting on my brilliant star.
I have left behind my world of plight, and now sit on the star I call mine. I can look down on an all but forgotten world, and watch the desperate souls wishing for what they need. I smile through my tears at the irony. For every night since now, I had wished on a star, my star…….

1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah

Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill

It's not a very happy story is it? But you are very well adapted to the words that you used in this article :) I liked reading this, but I would try writing something happier. It's sometimes easier to read.

Keep Writing!