Late Night City Streets. | Teen Ink

Late Night City Streets.

September 17, 2010
By sarahh_xo BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York
sarahh_xo BRONZE, Yorktown Heights, New York
2 articles 2 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
`the things we want most in life are the things we dont have`


Late night city streets were the perfect backdrop for something unexpected. It was almost midnight, and the salty-sweet smell of roasted chestnuts still lingered in the air, even though the street vendors were long gone. The last Broadway show had let out nearly an hour ago, and the city air was thick with silence. The echoes of past tourists were finally fading away. There was something that seemed a bit off; anyone passing by the apartment building on 38th and Broadway would sense it. But luckily for Jess James, no one was around. It was time to get away.
Jess awoke with a start. Her phone was buzzing beneath her pillow. She checked it. Oh right, she thought. I set an alarm. Silently, she crept out of bed and pulled on dark skinny jeans, a black shirt, and her black converse hi-tops. she grabbed her purple tote bag on her way out the door. She was running away.
As she tiptoed down to the lobby, Jess prayed no one was awake and by the back door. When she got to the end of the staircase, she quickly made sure the coast was clear. Then, the young girl bolted for the door. At last, she made it outside. The air was cool and refreshing. Jess slid onto the bench right next to the door to think about what she was doing. Why was she running away again? Oh right. Her parents wouldn’t let her go to that fancy performing arts school. How was she supposed to make it as a Broadway actress if she didn’t go there? But then Jess had a thought. Where was she going to go once she ran away? Jess realized that she hadn’t really thought out her then-flawless plan. She barely had enough money to pay rent for a month, how would she survive until she got a job? Not to mention tuition for the school. She wouldn’t be 18 for another year, so she couldn’t even open her own bank account. She slumped down against the wall. Jess watched the blinking numbers on her phone go from 12:00, to 12:30, to 1:00.
Well, it’s now or never! She thought. Jess stood up and took a step towards the main road, but stopped. She thought again about what was really important in her life. Why should she waste her last year of being a kid? The moment hung in the air like a 10-year-old about to fall off his two-wheeler, balancing momentarily, and fell. Jess turned around slowly and walked back into the apartment building.
The rest of the night went uninterrupted. The smell of chestnuts was still there in the morning, but something else was different. The strange feeling by 38th and Broadway was gone, replaced by a feeling of happiness and content.