The girl who played with fire | Teen Ink

The girl who played with fire

By inksplatteredfingerz SILVER, Union, New Jersey
inksplatteredfingerz SILVER, Union, New Jersey

"Where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true--we call it history."--the Wizard; Wicked

Good riddance.

I tossed the flaming Barbie on the ground. She wore a blue sequined spaghetti-strap top with bright green shorts. Most of the fabric had been cut off—the finishing touch.

You've heard of Dr. Barbie and Mermaid Barbie. Now make way for Stripper Barbie.

Or we could just call her Taylor White.

I watched the fire claim her clothes first. They didn't match, but that didn't matter. The doll just had to resemble my future step-monster as much as possible.(I even tried coloring the hair red with a Sharpie.) Within seconds, the flame was burning her flesh.

It was slow-going, which was kind of the point. I hadn't dipped Taylor in gasoline before setting her on fire. Oh no, I wanted her to suffer.

The tiny flame works it's magic, burning a black hole in the middle of Taylor's plastic belly. Little by little, the fire covers ground. I helped it along with some of the lighter fluid in my Zippo.

Burn baby, burn.

I fished a cigarette out of my bag. Holding it between my lips, I clicked the lighter.

Nothing. I used to much to fuel the fire.

I dropped the lighter back in the bag and took the cigarette out of my mouth. I needed to light up—my last smoke was last night—but I didn't want to leave until Taylor was nothing but melted plastic.

Hmm . . .

I hold the end of the cigarette with my fingertips and hold it as close to the flame as I can mange. It catches. I withdrew my hand.

After two long drags, I sat down with my back against a tree, watching the fire slowly engulf her torso.

This was as close as I was going to get to revenge, so I was milking it for all it was worth. And . . . it was strangely satisfying. Whoever said that vengeance is never sweet was dead wrong. I feel very content sitting here, watching a doll resembling Taylor White burn to a crisp.

Except for one thing: her face. Those shining blue eyes, that beautiful smile. Even as firewood, her perfect, Crest-commercial smile is still intact.

I picked up a twig and let it catch fire. Then I dropped the burning piece of wood right on the Taylor's gorgeous face.

I smiled, satisfied.

Burn in hell, b****.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I love this piece!! :)

This is my favorite piece of yours so far!! 

I love the symbolism of the barbie!! 

stickyfingers SILVER, Wake Forest, North Carolina
This story was good, I enjoyed it. Just one thing - you changed tenses a lot. I do it all the time as well, and it is very easy to do. I felt this emotion from this character as if she were me. Good job!