Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

December 22, 2010
By MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

It was a cold dark nothing that consumed me slowly, at first, then more and more to the point of death. No one could see, though. No one tried to. And so I let the darkness collect around me, I let it hold me captive. For years it held me, never letting me have a day of light. then when I thought the darkness was going to devour me, I saw a spec of light. Just a spec no bigger than a particle of dust. But it was there!

As I watched, the spec grew. The light was nearly unbearable, for I have seen none for years. But I continued to watch it grow and as it grew my hope bloomed larger and larger.

But all my hope could not make the light stay. As I watched it turned from wonderous light back into the horrible darkness that over-whelmed me once more. In my despair I was over-come with this feeling of hystaria that slowly turned into a hard, cold lump in the pit of my stomache.

I ffelt it begin to creep over me once again and in my despair I felt and aching in my soul. I felt the ache of longing, for the light, for the feeling of hope. I tried to survive, I continued to feel the insane pain the took over my soul like the darkness took over my body.

Finally, it became to unbearable. I walked around in a darkness, that could not be broken, always looking for a spec of light, a spec of hope, but i saw nothing. I couldnt dreath it was so awful and so painful to feel a pain so real and so impossible all at once.

So one day I decided it should end, that I shouldnt have to like in pain and despair. I knew I was acting insanely, but i no longer cared about that or anything else. I was ready for it to end. As I sat at the curved end of a cliff the height of "so said" god I thought of how the light felt on my pale face. Then I stared at the rocks underneath me and wondered about the darkness.

Millions of questions reeled through my mind: why me? Is this the only way? Could I have stopped this? Why did the light disappear? Does anyone care anymore? All these thoughts ran though me in a matter of moments. Then I swallowed back my fear and slid off the cliff into the waiting arms of the hard, jagged, rocks and the thrill of death...