Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

By MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia

It was a cold dark nothing that consumed me slowly, at first, then more and more to the point of death. No one could see, though. No one tried to. And so I let the darkness collect around me, I let it hold me captive. For years it held me, never letting me have a day of light. then when I thought the darkness was going to devour me, I saw a spec of light. Just a spec no bigger than a particle of dust. But it was there!

As I watched, the spec grew. The light was nearly unbearable, for I have seen none for years. But I continued to watch it grow and as it grew my hope bloomed larger and larger.

But all my hope could not make the light stay. As I watched it turned from wonderous light back into the horrible darkness that over-whelmed me once more. In my despair I was over-come with this feeling of hystaria that slowly turned into a hard, cold lump in the pit of my stomache.

I ffelt it begin to creep over me once again and in my despair I felt and aching in my soul. I felt the ache of longing, for the light, for the feeling of hope. I tried to survive, I continued to feel the insane pain the took over my soul like the darkness took over my body.

Finally, it became to unbearable. I walked around in a darkness, that could not be broken, always looking for a spec of light, a spec of hope, but i saw nothing. I couldnt dreath it was so awful and so painful to feel a pain so real and so impossible all at once.

So one day I decided it should end, that I shouldnt have to like in pain and despair. I knew I was acting insanely, but i no longer cared about that or anything else. I was ready for it to end. As I sat at the curved end of a cliff the height of "so said" god I thought of how the light felt on my pale face. Then I stared at the rocks underneath me and wondered about the darkness.

Millions of questions reeled through my mind: why me? Is this the only way? Could I have stopped this? Why did the light disappear? Does anyone care anymore? All these thoughts ran though me in a matter of moments. Then I swallowed back my fear and slid off the cliff into the waiting arms of the hard, jagged, rocks and the thrill of death...

MayB. SILVER said...
MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
THANK YOU!!!! :D

jeanifer BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
i thought this was absolutely gorgeous. the one criticism i have is the exclamation point at the end of the first paragraph; it feels a little out of place with how mellow the rest of the piece is. keep on writing :)