Do you hear me | Teen Ink

Do you hear me

By J.V.Three BRONZE, Commack, New York
J.V.Three BRONZE, Commack, New York

No one is normal, we just act it.

“Please God keep him safe.” I whispered to myself as I turned on the news. They were talking about the current war. How the U.S. was getting more involved in the Middle East then ever before. I didn’t want to listen but I had to. Weather they told us we won the war or lost countless lives or by some miracle found world peace I wanted to be one of the first to hear about it.

Suddenly I heard a knock on the door. As I opened it the mail man was driving away in his mini van. I grabbed the mail and threw it on the table.

Phone bill, electric bill, high taxes, advertisement… letter to Jason Dever.

I ripped my letter open. It wasn’t what I thought it was. It was my report card. I sighed and left it on the table. Back on the news they were talking about the newest phone which will probably last a month or two the most.

“I’m home.” My mom said cheerfully as she walks in with a smile and a box. “And I bought pizza.” I lost track of time. I realized I was starving and took the pizza box from her. It was chicken and meatball topping. She never orders take out.

“What’s the occasion?” I asked turning off the television.
“I got a call from school and thought my seventh grade honor role son deserved his favorite pizza.”
I laughed. “They called you for that?” I asked.
“What do you mean ‘for that’? I think it’s a big deal.” She said clearing the table for me and taking the mail.

I took a paper plate and a glass of water and started eating. “This is going on the fridge.” She said. When she was done putting it on, she turned to me. Her smile changed. “Why aren’t you happy?” She asked.
“I am.” I said taking a bite of my pizza.
“Then how come you aren’t as excited as I am?”
“I just have a lot on my mind.” I said.
She pauses then sits down at the table next to me. “Have you been watching the news again?” I pause “You don’t have to worry about you brother, Jacob. He’s doing just fine.”
“Have you heard from him?” I ask.
“No… but I know he’ll be fine.”

Funny she said the same thing when dad went to war.

“You need to worry about your own life first. Not your brothers.” She said.
“Are you doing that?” I ask.
This time she pauses. “No. But I’m a mom. It’s my job to worry about my children. So stop watching the news and doing my job.” She says in a jokey tone.
“Okay.” I said giving up. When I finish the pizza threw my plate out. “I’m going to my room.” As I grabbed my backpack.

I closed my door and threw my backpack across the room. It was Friday. I had all weekend for homework. I go on my bed and pull out the letter under my pillow. It was addressed to the family from the army when my dad was in the war. “We regret to tell you…” was all mom read before throwing it out and bursting to tears. I took it out of the garbage and kept it for myself. As a reminder.

“Please God keep him safe.” I said. “I want to tell him I made the honor role.”