Heartbreak for Love | Teen Ink

Heartbreak for Love

By Fia-fia BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland
Fia-fia BRONZE, Bethesda, Maryland

My best friend fell in love with my boyfriend. I guess I noticed her attraction to him. Her flirtatious attitude, her obsession. But more importantly, is how I should have noticed him, falling for her. Their subconscious flirting slapped me in the face: 'wake up from this daydream.'

Later-when I confronted him-he apologized, unable to lie to me. His apology was sincere, his pain shown brightly through his eyes. It hurt him, to hurt me, and that is why I loved him. So I told him to ask her out, and my heart broke.

He looked at me shocked. I told him that despite what ever the hell he was feeling, I still loved him. I loved him and her, and I wanted them both to be happy. And I knew they would only be happy together. I loved him so much, I let him go, and let the tears trickle down my pink swollen cheeks, as his back receded down the math hallway, and my heart broke for love.

The next day, I put on so much makeup, I was wearing a mask. A mask, I felt, I would not take off for a while.

My best friend was ecstatic, though she could not look me in the eyes, her emotions bubbling out of her. I raised her eyes to mine, and hugged her. Pained, she stared at me. I told her not to worry, and plastered a smile, over my throbbing heart.

Now,

When he calls me, I smile.

When we go shopping, I laugh.

When we all hang out together, I play.

But when asked if I still love him, I take out the heart shaped pendant he first gave me, lay it lovingly on the knotted stump, and sobbed silently, to myself.

so_joy SILVER said...
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey

"Be the change you want to see."

Wow! Great job! Please read, rate, and comment on my work! Thanks!

natty5 BRONZE said...
natty5 BRONZE, West Dundee, Illinois
Very well written!!