A boy with a letter | Teen Ink

A boy with a letter

By Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

The phone rang but Rachel barely heard it. She barely heard anything anymore. She let it go to voicemail and didn’t bother to listen to it. It was probably just her grandmother calling to check on her. She did that a lot since the accident. Rachel winced as her head throbbed. It throbbed every time she thought about it. The phone rang again and again she let it go to voicemail. This time she listened to it. “Hey Ray. It’s your dad. I’m going to be home late. Order out baby.” She chuckled to herself. He acted like he came home on time every day. He was never home and that was fine with her. He was the reason the accident happened. She jumped up. The accident was behind her now. The phone rang. “Damn, what do these people want?” she shouted. She winced as it echoed. It reminded her how alone she really was. She picked up the phone. “Hello?” “Omg, you actually answered it.” Her friend Melissa said. Rachel imagined her friend on her bed with her feet swinging in the air. Her other hand was probably intertwined in her hair. To add to the happy picture she was probably smiling. Rachel wished she could smile again. “When you gonna get your butt over here?” her friend asked. “I don’t think I can.” Rachel admitted. Her friend sighed. “Ray, the accident was two months ago. When are you going to snap out of it?” Rachel dug her already ruined nails into the sofa. She didn’t understand. No one did. “Sorry I can’t be a better friend to you Melissa.” She whispered then hung the phone up. This was why she didn’t answer the phone. Rachel fell to the couch and put her face in her hands. She had pushed each one of her friends away. The doorbell rang. Who could that be? She got up and opened the door. Standing there was a boy about her age. “Can I help you?” she asked. “Are you Taylor?” he asked back. Rachel recoiled from the door at the name. “How do you know her?” she asked. “I don’t. My brother had cancer and before he died he told me to give this letter to Taylor. He gave me the address and everything. I think she was someone very special to him. I could tell.” The boy said moving the bang out of his eyes. The tears were running down her face before she could stop them. She didn’t wipe them. The boy looked at her curiously. “Why are you crying?” he asked softly. She shook her head and fell to her knees. It felt like she couldn’t breathe. The boy sat beside her and put his arm around her. “It’s okay.” He said over and over again until Rachel stopped. “Taylor died in a car accident.” Rachel said dully. The boy bit his lip. “Then I guess we are in the same boat.” He said. Rachel looked at him. He didn’t have that look of pity people always had. There was something that she had wished for since her sister had been hit by that truck. Understanding. Rachel dried her eyes and for the first time in two months smiled. “I’m such a mess. I’m sorry.” Rachel said getting up. “Why are you apologizing for loving your sister?” he replied. Rachel raised her shoulders slightly. “Let’s go get some ice- cream.” The boy said getting up. Rachel ran inside the house to get her shoes. Then she locked the door and they left.

It was a quiet walk to the ice-cream shop. The boy kept his hands in his pocket and looked at the ground. Rachel looked at him. He looked like one of those punk kids she stayed away from. He had naturally black hair that had red streaks running through it and it was styled the style in which scene people styled their hair. He was wearing a t-shirt of some band with black ripped skinny jeans and converse. “Am I really that interesting?” he asked when he caught her staring at him. “I just have never seen you before in my life.” Rachel admitted. “Weird, since I’m in like most of your classes. The only difference is that I changed my style a little.” He replied. Rachel tried to remember anybody that was in her classes but nothing came up until he smiled then she knew exactly who he was. “You’re Daniel House.” She said, “Wow, you have changed my friend.” “It’s Danny now. I changed my style during spring break last week. I wanted to be a different person. I guess it worked.” He replied. Rachel nodded in agreement. Then they reached the ice- cream shop and didn’t talk until they had their ice-cream and were sitting down. “When did your brother die?” she asked. He didn’t even look sad when he answered. “Two days ago. The funeral was yesterday.” Rachel nodded again. “When did Rachel die?” he asked back. “Two months ago. I know I should be over it already but for some reason I can’t.” she answered. She could already feel the tears coming. Daniel didn’t say anything. He just looked at her with knowing eyes. The tears didn’t come and Rachel was fine before she knew it. How had this boy cured her from her never ending sadness? “How do you do it?” she asked shaking her head. “I don’t try to remember how he died. I remember how it was before he died. It helps a lot. Don’t stay stuck in the past.” He answered finishing off the rest of his ice-cream. Rachel finished hers and followed him to the trash can then out the door. He walked her to her house. “Here.” He said holding out the letter. “It’s not for me.” She replied glancing at it. “I know but she was your sister so it belongs to you. Whether or not you read it is up to you.” He said putting the letter in her hand then he walked off. Rachel looked at the later and after a moment of hesitation ripped it open. It read-
Dear Taylor,

I have the results. I won’t be able to give them to you so I’ll send them in this letter. I hope the results make you happy. Just remember whatever you do could also affect your little sister. This includes her.

Your loyal friend,
Josh

Inside the envelope was another envelope. She was confused. Results for what? She ripped the other one open. There was only a single piece of paper in it. It said 99.9% that Gordon Kindly was Taylor Lauren Crate and Rachel Ariel Crate’s father. Rachel stared at the piece of paper.

This idea came to me while I was watching TV but I don't know if I'm jumping subjects to much.

I have put pt 2 up. It's there and thank you. :)

kimberdawn SILVER, Sedalia, Missouri

The sun, with all these planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it has nothing else in the universe to do.

~Galileo

WHOA!!!! I must know more! Please! I beg of you! write more! I must know what happens.