Difficulties of Love | Teen Ink

Difficulties of Love

By Gods.princess124 BRONZE, Manhattan, New York
Gods.princess124 BRONZE, Manhattan, New York

Difficulties of Love

One morning, Joshua Torres was walking to his school, Vanguard High School, when he saw her. They had never really talked, except casually passing each other in the hall. He would often look at her, but she would pay no attention to him. Of course, like in any other school, there were a lot of older boys (older than him at least), and cuter too. He was 11-years-old in the 6th grade, and an 11th grader would pay no mind to him. The only place he would see her was in school or in the store.

Her name was Julie Woods. She was 16-years-old in the 11th grade, a beautiful girl. She was 5’4” with long black hair. Her jewelry consisted of small silver hoop earrings, a “J” necklace for her name, Julie, and a small band around her finger with a turquoise gemstone that caught the light of the sun as she walked.

Every morning, Joshua would wait to see her, outside the school waiting for her friends, or going to the corner store on 68th street and 1st avenue. Today he was going to the store to see if he could at least have the courage to say “Hi.” As he walked he thought, “Damn, what if she thinks I’m just another adorable kid who is always gaping at her and who’s at least, a teeny tiny bit good looking. I don’t even know if Julie would even accept to be my girlfriend, even if I had the guts to ask her out or even if I tried my best to MAKE her like me.”

When he got to the store, Joshua ordered a BLT sandwich, got a drink, and some snacks for later in the day. As he was paying to leave (wondering where Julie was and when was she going to get to the store), Julie walks in with some of her friends laughing.

Julie was the kind of girl that everybody liked. She was an A+ student, beautiful (of course), funny, always had a smile, and had a likable personality. No wonder guys always wanted to go out with her. There was not one guy in the whole school that didn't have his eyes on her. That was funny, she wasn't the type that loved to be in the spotlight plus the fact, that in all of her years in school she had only had 3 boyfriends. She had to admit, she liked the attention, it was fun andprettyy hilarious, but she didn’t want a boyfriend from her school and much less any of the guys that were younger than her and even less boys in Junior High School. Although there was this ONE boy that she would always see, “If it weren’t for his age and grade,” Julie thought rolling her eyes. He looked her age, but he also looked like the shy type and she wasn’t about to go up to talk to him either, she wouldn’t and couldn’t. The best thing to do was to forget about guys until she was in college.

Joshua’s heart skipped a beat and he was indulged to look at her, but he didn’t, he was too shy, and guess what, he missed the beautiful girl. But… suddenly… as he was leaving the store, Joshua bumps into Julie as she was putting her stuff on the counter. Joshua blushes and both say, “My bad.” And then the unthinkable happens, he asks her if she was going to go to the Puerto-Rican festival. She said that she could not go, which made Joshua surprisingly disappointed.

“Well since you can’t go, I’ll get you something if I go.”

After his encounter with Julie, Joshua could not seem to concentrate on his classes whatsoever. Instead all he could think about was the Puerto-Rican festival, Julie, and how much of a goddess she was.