The Start of My New Beginning | Teen Ink

The Start of My New Beginning

By rosewriter8 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
rosewriter8 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

"My thoughts are stars I cant fathom into constellations."

The day I’ll never forget has to be my sixteenth birthday, because that’s when I met Alexander Black. I had my birthday party in my backyard, which looked absolutely beautiful thanks to Aunt Helen, who’s a landscape designer. The party space looked completely enchanting, from the floating white lanterns that shimmered light across the small waterfall, which cascaded into a shallow pond, to the richly deep purple tablecloths that had a glistening sheen to it when in the moonlight. I didn’t want a huge party that could be on My Super Sweet Sixteen, that isn’t really my style. I’m into elegant and intimate parties and Aunt Helen brought it all together perfectly. Aunt Helen has really helped out my dad and I ever since my mom died of brain cancer two years ago. I miss my mom, Grace, everyday. I wanted her to be with me until I was grown; I never thought that she would leave me so soon. To keep her spirit alive I’m dedicating my “father-daughter dance” to my mother. My dad likes the idea; he misses Mom so much it pains me to see him alone. It feels like I’m in a dream, a nightmare really, and I want to wake up and rewind. I can still hear my mom’s angelic voice rise up to my room from the kitchen, as she, and my dad, made buttery blueberry pancakes, as they always did, on Sunday mornings. Those days are gone now.
Anyways, my dress was ready, everything was set, and guests would arrive any minute. My dress was the most beautiful dress I’ve ever worn. It was a chiffon white dress that hit right above the knee, and had a pearl and jewel embedded sweetheart strapless top. I felt beautiful in this dress with my long, thick, black hair curling around my fair shoulders. I walked downstairs and made my way to the party to make my not-so-grand entrance. After making my way around the party, thanking people for coming, and pointing out where to place the gifts, I noticed a guy I didn’t know. He was leaning against on one of the far willow trees, which had twinkling lights on every branch, making it look like the stars had drifted onto the tree. The guy looked about seventeen years old with blond hair, cool blue eyes, tan skin, and a jaw line that could drive a girl crazy. Did I mention he was tall? Because to me he could have been a basketball player. Well, maybe he looked extra tall to me, since I’m only a five foot two inches. The twinkling lights surrounding him really illuminated his facial features, so I could see that not only was he looking at me, he was giving me a cool, slight smile. Not creepy all, just nice. I’ll just get to it, this guy was really attractive, no more than that, he was enchanting. He looked like the type of guy that would be the prince in a fairy-tale, the lead actor in a super-hero movie, even the cover model in an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue, but not the type that would be at my sixteenth birthday party. I caught my breath as the cool touch of Aunt Helen’s finger tips spread through my arm, and woke me from my reverie. She whispered ever so gently into my ear,

“That’s Alexander, he’s the son of my favorite girlfriend from work, and she’s around here somewhere too, but Alexander is such a great boy, and I know you two will really hit it off. You deserve to forget all your troubles for one night, Ebony. Have fun tonight, and remember Grace is watching down on you, probably smiling at the sight of her little girl growing up so fast. She’s at peace, finally, and you should be too. You can thank your fabulous aunt later.”
And with a wink, and quick kiss on my cheek, Aunt Helen disappeared onto the dance floor. I started walking over to Alexander, as he started walking over to me. We met in the middle of the gazebo, right near the small waterfall, which provided a sweet underlying sound of moving water.

“Happy Birthday, Ebony,” Alexander said, as his ice blue eyes were looking down into my sea green eyes. “I suppose Helen already told you who I am, but let me introduce myself, my name is Alexander Black, and I also have to say that you look absolutely beautiful.”
He outstretched his hand for me to shake, and as fit my petite hand into his and shook, I couldn't think of anything that felt so right before. I didn't want to let go, of his hand, of the moment.

This is a revised version of my first story (which I deleted) so i hope you enjoy it!