The Sudden Stop | Teen Ink

The Sudden Stop

June 5, 2013
By Katie2 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Katie2 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Some people think that pain is dull, I think that it is sharp. As sharp as glass, the kind that has just broken, by a neighbor boy playing baseball a bit too close to the house. Not the kind of glass that has had time to wear away its sharp edges and corners. No, this glass is brittle, razor-sharp, and unforgiving.

The pain could be caused by a bone, snapping from the force of an oncoming car. It could be mental pain, endured after a friend breaks your bond of trust. But my pain is from a fall. A physical fall. A tumbling, scrambling, jolting fall. Down. It was down a sheer cliff, past the trees, the wild rodents, birds, and other inhabitants of the forest.

As I tumbled down I didn't have any huge revelations like some people say they have when they have a near death experience. My body feels palpable and transparent at the same time. I am feeling-less for now. It is not the falling that hurts, but the sudden stop. When I do stop, which I will do soon, I will feel pain, but for now? Nothing, my body feels white. White is nothingness. White is the color you get when you combine all the colors in the rainbow. But have you ever taken all those colors and mixed them together? I have. And do you know what I got? Brown. When I should have gotten white I got brown. This is how my mind felt. Brown, muddy, mumbled, unclear, murky.

Before the fall, I was a normal person. Taking pictures of the sunset of the cliff, eating the trail mix and energy gel that we had grown to hate after all the practise hikes. The hikes we had taken before the ' big event' as we so fondly named it. 'It' was the asteroid. It would land in a valley on January 1st, 1:11am. Everyone knew this, we had discussed the coincidental timing and the event for months. We trained for the big climb. The hike up the overlooking cliff to take pictures at the best view point on the planet.

What we dint know is that when the asteroid hit, it would create a shockwave that could topple buildings, rupture waterlines across the globe, and shake hikers off a cliff. We were all standing fairly close to the edge, not abiding by the parks rules of stay 20 feet from the edge at all times. I was craning my neck over the side of the cliff, trying to see the bottom. I was still recovering from the demanding hike. still breathing hard when someone said " stay alert everyone! Its coming in 5 minutes!" We all held our breath and watched as it streaked out of the sky. It was burning its path across our eyes, so full of energy and flame. It sped down colliding with the earth with a gargantuan thhhhwummp that didnt quite line up with when we saw it slam down. But we all clearly felt the rumble, then the shake, then the earth moved out from under our feet and we all tumbled down...down...Down.