The First Game | Teen Ink

The First Game

August 31, 2013
By jeany BRONZE, Hemet, California
jeany BRONZE, Hemet, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The first game is always one of the most nerve wrecking games of the season. I never know how my team will play in this new game situation. In the heat of the moment, anything could happen on the court. Win or lose, it's only the start of the volleyball season.

Although the game is a home game, all volleyball players got out of sixth period about forty-five minutes before the end of the school day bell. Walking through the commons to the locker room, I see a couple of other girls on my team and join them. All we could talk about is how excited we are to play. Reaching the locker room, I get my volleyball bag and change into my uniform as fast as possible, then head into the hot gym.

The gymnasium is already stuffy due to all the basketball players running around. My team and I have to kick the basketball boys off of our court so we can start setting up the net. Setting up the net is really easy, so it only takes ten minutes, if that. Once the net is done, I notice the other team, our opponents, arriving. My coach then tells my team to stretch and warm up our arms. Just as I grab a volleyball, music is released into the air and boasting from the varsity court. Now I am definitely pumped up for this game.

"Captains," yells the referee and that's my cue. I run over to the referee and shake hands with him and the captains from the other team. Since we're the home team, our opponents get to make the coin toss call. As the ref tosses the coin into the air, one of the girls calls out, "tails!"

The coin then lands in the ref's hand and what do you know, it's heads! Now we get to decide whether we want to serve or to receive. My coach wants to receive so that is our decision. Once again we all shake hands and say good luck to one another, then go back to our separate sides.

On the court we form a huddle to begin our start of the game cheer. As captain, I start it off, "Who's house?"

"DOG'S HOUSE," my team replies.

"WHO'S HOUSE," I shout again.

"DOG'S HOUSE!"

"WHO'S HOUSE?"

"DOG'S HOUSE!"

"DOG'S ON THREE. ONE-TWO-THREE!"

"DOG'S!!" we all scream, then head to our positions. Since we have fourteen girls on the team, there will be eight girls on the bench, sadly. As I go to my position, front right, my nerves kick in and a shutter goes through my body. The whistle blows for the other team to serve. We had a good rally going then I set outside and we get a kill to earn then first point. My team gets excited for that amazing hit. My stomach drops as I realize it's my serve. I get the ball and hit it a couple times to prepare for my serve. The ball is a lot lighter than what I am used to and it seems to be pumped up way too much. The whistle blows to let me know it's time to serve. I swing and hit the ball and it nearly goes out, luckily, a girl plays on it, but shanks it across the court. My team and I scream "ACE" then I continue to serve. From the crowd I can hear my mom cheering me on. From then on I don't feel as nervous as I was before.

By the end of the game, we win by a whopping score of 25-12 in the first set and 25-17 in the second set. My coach tells us how proud she is and gives us many compliments. Perfect passes, perfect sets, perfect hits. Everything a great volleyball team needs. From that moment, I had a good feeling we would have a great season this year, just from the results of that first game.