Reed Calix McConell, Uncercover Con-Man | Teen Ink

Reed Calix McConell, Uncercover Con-Man

September 20, 2013
By Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois
Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois
75 articles 2 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
So I suppose my simple advice is: Love your life. I only say that because your life is what you have to give.
-Tom Hiddleston


Reed Calix McConnell was most known in European society for two things. 1. being a star rugby player and 2. inventing a teenager video game called Zen Alley. Soon, he would also 3. be married to Oscar winning actress, Houda Beck. He lived on Shrewsbury Road, near Dublin. He was a billionaire and envied by many. His life appeared perfect to all. All but himself.

For in reality, Reed was just a con. His athletic skill? Nothing but the product of steroidal experimentation. His video game? The original idea had come from a man in Pakistan. A fan. Someone who Reed had inspired and then taken advantage of. And his fiancé? Reed had spoken to her a grand total of five times. He had proposed on their fourth date, in a very public restaurant and with a very large diamond ring. She couldn't possibly say no, not with all those people watching, not with the diamond glittering, shining, reflecting the greed in her eyes.

Reed Calix McConnell hadn't always been this way. He was no self made success story, either. He'd grown up in a relatively wealthy neighborhood in England, then attended a boarding school in Boston. He'd always loved rugby, but he was never as good as he pretended to be now.

He was an intelligent, handsome kid, blond haired and brown eyed, flawed only by extreme competitiveness and growing conceit. When he was nineteen, he decided to become a famous rugby player. In his mind, he thought "famous," not "great." He used his parent's endless funds, told them he was starting a business. He paid coaches to coach him, managers to hire him, doctors for steroids. In a world where so many pay for noise, music, talking, Reed Calix McConnell paid for silence.

Reed the schoolboy, became Reed the businessman, then Reed the star rugby player. Later he became Reed, creator of Zen Alley, then Reed, Europe's most desirable man. His parents passed away, leaving him a small fortune, no longer needed. He was starring in commercials, going on talk shows, even appearing in a movie once. His jerseys were flying off the racks. He owned a line of men's clothing and cologne.

He often thought of what would happen if they found out. His skills, his imagination, well, they weren't really his at all. He thought also of the Pakistani man. What was his name? Syed? Javed? Something like that. I could find him, Reed thought. I could thank him generously for what he gave me. We could invent a new game together. He could become rich and famous too. But Reed never followed through with these thoughts. He was happy, why worry about other's bad luck? Why complicate his life more?

He knew not that even as these thoughts flashed across his mind, a man by the name of Syed Shandar stalked him, followed his every move, preparing for that one moment. The moment when he would attack his betrayer. The moment when his life of poverty and disgrace would be avenged.


The author's comments:
English Project. Create a rich person and give him a history.