hunting accident | Teen Ink

hunting accident

November 1, 2013
By nedyac SILVER, Hillsboro, North Dakota
nedyac SILVER, Hillsboro, North Dakota
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

November 8th, 2012, Day one;

I was packed and ready to go, but was very nervous that I was going to miss and never get another chance. That thought was in my head all day long. When we reached the airport a man was waiting for us because he had to check the type of gun, license, and place of travel. When we got all checked and on the plane, a storm was moving and the flight attendant said that there was a 2 hour delay. After the delay, we started our flight and after 5 hours we reached Alaska and finally got on the ground and found our hotel and went to bed.
November 9th, 2012, day two;

When we woke up, we had coffee, eggs, bacon, pancakes, and juice. After we checked out and left for anchorage, we got pulled over just after leaving the city. The officer came to the window and I gave him my license. After that we were on our way. When reaching anchorage, we headed to a local hunting shop and asked for a guide to take us hunting. By the time we were done with getting check and getting a guide, the season started in 1 hour. We took a plane south to Matsu valley to hunt. When getting there, we headed east to a great hunting spot and waited. After 5 hours later that day nothing happened, so we went to the hotel and went to bed.
November 10th, 2012, day three;

In the morning, around 6 o’ clock, we left for the Matsu valley. When arriving at our spot, our guide though he saw a man in our hunting zone. He walked over to the man that was behind the tree and right as he said you can’t be here, it turned and he started to run to me saying it was not a man. That moment I got ready to shot, when he got tackled by the black animal and I hesitated to shot. When I did shoot, the guide was dead and I didn’t know the way out of the forest. Needing to get out I started east thinking, thinking that it was the way out. When night fell I decide to go back to the bear that I shot and cut it open and eat and sleep in it.
November 11th, 2012, day four;

In the morning I decided to try building a small sled thing to help carry my bed and bear meat for long distance. Before I start to walk I left a big rock formation pointing in the direction I walked so they go to find me. As I started walking I realized that I may never see my family again (that motivated me to continue). When I came to my first obstacle, a river, I could not cross because of the cold water, so I made a camp by the river’s edge. When night fell I made a fire to scare animals and cook food.
November 12th, 2012, day five;

When I got up I made a hut looking thing big enough to fit my fire, so I would not get cold in the night and not leave safety to cook food. Other than that, nothing happened.

November 12th, 2012, day six;

Nothing happened in the morning, but the afternoon is a whole different story. Around 5 or 6 o’ clock another bear must have smelt my bear meat and came close to my camp and all I had to scare it with is a gun. I took one warning shot and the bear ran and I never saw another bear that day. When the bear ran I decided I needed defenses to keep animals out of my camp. To make a simple defense I got, I got 4 dozen large sticks and build spikes around my camp to hopefully stop animals. My defense failed when a pack of wolves got through and started eating my meat when I was out looking for firewood.
November 13th, 2012, day seven;

I suddenly woke up due to a sound of a helicopter. As I got out of my hut a small bear was near the opposite bank of the river watching me. But I didn’t think about him and started to build a warning fire with black smoke to get the pilots attention to get me. The fire failed and it wasn’t even a helicopter it was a 4 wheeler on a trail about 400ft away from my camp. When I started to the four-wheeler trail, I saw that same little bear on the bank where I was going. Trying to avoid the small bear, I walked down the river bank far away from the small bear, when starting to cross I saw a shadow in a berry bush and keep going across. As I crossed a full grown mother bear jumps out of the river and charges at me so I fake death and the bear didn’t even come near me. When I got up the bear was gone and I slow and cautiously keep going and reached the 4 wheeler trails and waited for a four wheeler to come down the trail. Nothing came so I went to camp and went to bed.
November 14th, 2012, day eight;

In the morning, I set out to the 4 wheeler trail and started to up the trail or down since I had no sense of direction. After walking for 5-6 miles, I saw small 2 person cabin off the trail by about 50ft. when I entered I saw a small snake it the corner, I took out my knife and killed it. After killing the snake, I took a bunch of sticks from outside and build a fire to cook the rest of the bear and the snake to eat. After eating, I went to bed on an old bed that I moved to in front of the fire place to keep warm.
November 15th, 2012, day nine;

In the morning when I got up I saw a bunch of animals in the small cabin because of the fire to keep them warm. When I walked out of the cabin there was 3 inches of snow on the ground, which came a month early. When I left the cabin to start walking down the trail I notice a track that was very uncomfortable animal track in the snow, but I keep walking to hope I see someone or town. About 7 o’ clock, I saw the uncomfortable animal track maker, it was a full grown male moose. As I kept walking I started to notice me as I got close and closer to it. The moose soon ran because it was frightened of me. That night I was forced to make camp in a tall tree in the cold with no food to eat.

November 16th, 2012, day 10;

That morning I made a shocking discovery, there was 15 inches on the ground. I started to walk the trail for 4 miles and into a canyon when I saw a cave about 20 feet up the steep cliff. When I got to the cave entrance, I saw a bear in the back of the cave sleeping for the winter. When the bear moved, I hastily ran down the cliff and deeper into the canyon. When I got out of the canyon there was two trails that combined into the trail I was on, I had to choose the right path. Uphill or downhill was my only option. I chose downhill because I thought it was smart to head down toward warm weather because that is what people prefer. No towns came up so I was again forced to sleep in a tree.
November 17th, 2012, day 11;

When I got out of the tree I saw a group of snowmobilers heading the direction I was heading. I ran down to the trail and ran as fast as I could down the trail and I saw a clearing overlooking a valley. When I could see the valley I saw a small town about 50 miles on the other side of the valley. The sight of a town was a great morale boaster for me to continue to on and try to make it to safety. When I reached the bottom of the valley I came across lots of birds and animals. After walking for 11 hours, it was also getting dark so I sleep on the ground.
November 18th, 2012, day 12;

When I got up from sleeping on the ground, I noticed a small bunny was sleeping under my jacket that I used as a blanket. I started walking around 9 a.m., I knew that because I heard the church bells from the town on the other side of the valley. I walked and walked and walked until I noticed I have walked around in a circle. After straitening my path I came across a ½ mile wide river. I got a quick plan that I made, it was to build a raft. Before I started I found a fish in the water and I grabbed and missed it. With quick thinking, I went to the woods to make a spear to kill the fish. When returning to the river I saw a police boat driving down the river. I yelled for the boat, but the boat driver didn’t hear me over the sound of the engine. When I tried for the fish the second time I got the fish, but had no time to build the raft. I eat the fish and went to bed.
November 19th, 2012, day 13;

In the early morning, I made a strong raft from some tree wood and tried it together with my shoe laces. When I started across the river all went well until, I was drifting down river and went far off course. After drifting for about 10 minutes, I saw small rapids a little ways down river. Before I know it, I was in the rapids and halfway through, I noticed that my raft was breaking apart. The raft soon broke so I jumped from the raft and quickly swam to shore so I would not freeze in the cold water. When I got out of the water I made a fire and stripped naked and put my cloths over the fire to stay dry. When I got dry it was 9 o’ clock, so I went to bed.
November 20th, 2012, day 14;

I woke to the sound of a church bell that sounded 2 miles away. I headed in the direction of the church bells. About the 1.98 miles I saw the church with a bunch of cars around the building. I when I saw the church, I started to run as fast as I could to get to the church. When I reached the door I opened it with a great force. When I fell into the church the pastor stopped the church service and came and helped me up and got me water and food so I could recovery from the last week and a half. During the sermon the pastor ask me up to talk about my last week. After the church service I stayed at the church and went to bed
November 21st, 2012, day 15;
In the morning, I got up and went to the airport and got a free ride because I missed my flight home because I got lost. On my way home I got a message from the pilot told everyone on the plane that I was lost for the last week. Everyone on the plane asked, how did you survive or I’m so sorry, I hope you are alright. I just answered yes I’m fine and It was hard than I thought to life out in Alaska wilderness. When I got off the plane and into the airport I had news crews and TV interview because I was on the news for being lost. When I got home, it was about 11 p.m., so I went to bed.
November 22nd, 2012, day 16;

When I got up in the morning for breakfast, I went to the fridge and found 20 pies, cakes, and casseroles in the fridge. I ask my wife, where did all the food come from. After I ate, I went to a meeting in the town hall for an interview and tell the story on how I survived the trip to Alaska and surviving in the wilderness. Right at the end of the meeting I got a certificate for my bravery. When I went home it did nothing for the rest of the day.
November 23rd- 24th, 2012
Nothing happened
November 25th, 2012, day 19;

When I went to military training, I got ready for wilderness training, when the general came and told me that I was the wilderness training instructor because I survived in the Alaska wilderness for a week. When I got home from military training I saw a gift on the counter and it was from the governor of Montana. I opened the gift and it was an invitation to talk about many things like, talking maybe even having some make a book about my experience in Alaska.
November 26th, 2012, day 20;
It was an ordinary day, just like every day before I got lost.
Next year

I went to the same spot and put flower where he died and also put flowers where he was buried.


The author's comments:
i wrote this story because i want to go to alaska and hunt black bear, but dont want this to happen to me.