The Giants | Teen Ink

The Giants

By Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

If you try and teach a fish to climb a tree, it will live it's life forever thinking that it is dumb. ~Albert Einstein

I pump my hind legs as well as my front to get to the draining pipe. My gray fur stands up as I see a Giant coming towards me. Better run, better run.
I am a rat.
As I reach the pipe, I see a puddle that I have to cross. For a moment, I am caught up in my reflection. My eyes look slightly pink, but other than that, I look okay. Why do they hate us? The Giants?
I leap across the puddle and scramble into the pipe, climbing higher and higher until I reach the roof. I scurry to the edge and look over at the city below. The wind chills me to the bone, and I lift up a paw, spreading out my fingers and letting the wind rush through them.
The Giants like to scream at us, they like to kill us. They are really ugly and scary. They killed my mom.
I was sad, but I didn't really know her that well. Rats die a lot. I forgave the Giants, though. They act scared. Are we that ugly? I feel evil when I'm around them sometimes, but I kind of feel bad for them. I can tell that they are stupid just by the way they clunk around. They scream out of fear at us even though we are a lot smaller than them. We could never really hurt them, yet they are afraid.
I haven't the slightest idea why.
I forgive them, because maybe we could come together sometime. Because, we do share the same Earth. Maybe they think we're disgusting, but, hey, they aren't perfect either. I've seen them pick their noses. I just hope that one day, they'll see us like we see them. They'll accept us for our flaws, and at least stop killing us off.
Maybe.
If we can forgive them, and if they can forgive us.
The Giants.