Right now it begins | Teen Ink

Right now it begins

February 20, 2014
By Lukas DeLisle BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Lukas DeLisle BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FAVORITE SECTIONS
Section 1
Chapter 18

I walked away from the team and I knew the hotel wasn’t too far so I wanted to walk home. I don’t know why I want to but it is a nice day and it will probably take me about 15 minutes and I can last that. It is really and very bright but I come from a town where you never get those two things. All I can think about is if that kid is going to beat me up. I didn’t do anything and he still got to play just at another position. So there is a chance he won’t beat me up. As I am deep into thinking about the kid beating me up I stumble over a log and I fall pretty hard. I feel like my arm just got smacked five times with a hammer and it touched a hot stove. “You all right there?” The guy asked. I could tell he wasn’t from around here because he had an accent I couldn’t tell where though. It did sound very familiar though. “Yeah I’m alright but it hurts pretty badly.” I said touching my elbow in pain. “You need a ride.”

Section 2

Chapter 20
I wake up in a hospital bed and I could feel all these wires hooked up to my bed. I see some people walk in and it was my mother. I try to sit up but I couldn’t. I couldn’t feel anything thing in my body so I start to panick. “Mom, why can’t I move?” I asked. “This is going to be hard for you but…” My mind started rushing with thoughts. I know this is bad news but I hope I can get better. What if I can never play sports again and why can’t I move? She keeps talking. “But you can’t walk for the rest of your life and you can never play sports again.” My heart felt like it broke and fell to my stomach. Tears were rushing down my face and I could hear the voice of my mom but I couldn’t understand what she was saying. “How is this possible I only got hit in the head.” “It hit a nerve in your brain that allows you to walk.” I start crying more and this felt like the world was over and I didn’t have a passion for anything anymore. Without sports or baseball I don’t know what I am going to do with my life.

I lay in my hospital bed at night not able going to sleep. I think this is all a dream and I am just waking up. Then reality hit me. I start balling my eyes out and knowing I can’t even run anymore. I just keep thinking about how life is going to be like if I can’t move. I thought two days were bad when I was sick and couldn’t do much. This is exteme though. Soon I am not going to be able to know what it was like to walk or run. Soon my crying put me to sleep.

I wake with my face all wet from crying so much last night. I open my eyes and it was the first time waking up in the morning and having the disability to walk. It felt like 500lbs of bricks were on you legs and there was no chance to get up. I see my mom walk in and hear some news that cheered me up a little. “Hey Al, I heard that there is a whole baseball league for people who can’t walk and have other disabilities.. I new it wasn’t the same but it was better that doing nothing. It stilled bothered me that I couldn’t walk ever again. I still have something to look forward in life though.

Section 3


Here’s how a typical game goes. Everyone hits once every inning and you can’t strike out. That was a pain for me and I really wanted to play real baseball but that was almost dangerous for me and most of the other kids. I wasn’t like other kids to. I was just parlayed and some kids had mental issues to like special needs so I had to be pretty patient but some of them are actually cool to hang out with. Once you hit the ball you walk, roll or cruise to first base and know you got a hit. You can get out like real baseball with a routine play and that is one thing I like about this league. Also the fields had almost thousands of dollars to build them and they were very nice and it was a good thing because they are all turf so people in wheel chairs like me can get around easier. Once everyone bats you change and you go onto the field and play defense. It was really hard to reach for the ball when you were in a wheel chair and it bugged me how I had a disability to dive for the ball. I had some great reaches and since I had a pretty strong arm still I could get the guy out easily. I thought just still being able to get the ball and throw it and hit it that I was lucky.

I wish I could say that I was fine and I was all better. That will never happen in my life though and I can’t understand why this had to happen to me. I have always been a good kid and this is how I get rewarded. I just wish that the doctor will give my mom a call and tell me that I have a chance to walk again. That is all I am asking for. The bright side is that I still am able to field a ball and hit the ball in the league that I am in. I sure am lucky that my whole body isn’t paralyzed. I can’t even imagine how worse it would be if I couldn’t move my arms and my chest.

Section 4

He remember one birthday card he got from his dad before he was dead it said
You will never give up and you need to always try everything at your hardest. You are getting older know and you need to start taking responsibility and be more independent. If you don’t do the things I say nothing will turn out like you want it. Happy birthday to you son and stay young. He always kept that card and when his dad died he framed it as soon as he could. He thought that card showed how you need to always work hard and have fun with things you do. He though how if you don’t work hard you won’t be satisfied was true and that was always a motivation for him to became the best and that’s why he loved baseball. It was his dad’s very sport and he truly loved it. He thought he was working hard and you could have a chance in playing baseball as his career. So having that taken away from him was extra hard.

I decide I will work hard and I will find a true passion. Not just something that satisfies me. I want to do something I would want to do every day of my life. I will also decide that I will be the best I can be no matter what I do. I will work the hardest and come in first and leave last. That has always been my dad’s modo and I am going to stick with that. I will always be a champion no matter my conditions.