A Forgotten Crime | Teen Ink

A Forgotten Crime

By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas

"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"

“Sir, I presume you are aware that a crime has been committed in your establishment this very morning?”
Gagh! Ben nearly choked on his lunch.
“What are you talking about? I’ve been here since 6:30!”
“I am certain that the event that occurred prior to my arrival most certainly was a significant shock to you,” said the officer, removing a note packet from his bag. “Unfortunately, it is necessary for me to conduct a formal interview with you right now.”
“What happened? I haven’t seen or heard anything unusual all morning,” said Ben, beginning to feel a bit uneasy. “Has a crime really been committed on my shift?”
“Your delusion was expected. I’ve dealt with several cases of similar western barbarity before. However, please calm yourself. Justice must be done.”
“It can’t be true! It must not be true!” whispered Ben to himself.
“Your cooperation during this investigation is essential,” said the officer. “I need to inspect the crime scene. Pronto!”
“Crime scene! Crime scene?” echoed Ben, bewildered.
“Let me refresh your memory,” the officered answered. “You were threatened with a gun while standing behind this counter, correct?”
“Well, here at the mini mart we only get enough business to have one counter. I guess it must have been here,” Ben reasoned.
“He led you toward the safe, no?”
“The safe? In the back room?”
“You were there, you tell me.”
Ben desperately searched his mind for any trace of the occurrence. He couldn’t remember anything.
“Open the safe! Let’s see if the criminal left any evidence of his money..um..identity,” sputtered the officer, fumbling for words..
“If I’ve truly been brainwashed, I trust you’ll catch the scumbag who did this,” said Ben, cranking open the lock on the safe.
“It appears you trust too much brother,” said the voice behind him, morphing into a slick southern accent. “Hands up!”

Inspired by a dialogue assignment for my English class.