Clouds | Teen Ink

Clouds

By Thea Belak BRONZE, Darien, Connecticut
Thea Belak BRONZE, Darien, Connecticut

I can feel the cold air before I even open my eyes and wake up. I’m greeted with the sight of a News paper sheet flying into my face from the wind. It brushes away after a second but leaves an itch on my face. I reach up with one hand and scratch the itch. My eyes are still heavy and I feel sleeping sand in the corners of both of them. There’s a morning breeze out, chilling my face and hand. The sky’s grey like it was the day before. The surrounding buildings match the gloom. Grey, dirty, worn down looking. Tired, as if they’d out lived there time long ago. I look up for a second and study the clouds in the sky. It’s difficult to tell where one cloud stops and another takes its place. Their colors are all the same, dark shades of a gloomy grey and are so bunched together that it’s nearly impossible to see where the creases and edges of them are. If clouds could have creases and edges that is. When I was younger I remember I used to just stare up at the clouds all the time. It was a lot easier to see them against a blue sky and spread out. The sky always seamed blue when I was a kid. As if such thing as rain never existed. I used to just lie on my back and watch them drift along in the sky. I made shapes out of them. Animals, dinosaurs, flowers, faces and other things that I couldn’t put a name to because they didn’t exist in the real world. Only in the shape of the cloud before it changed into something different. Now I can’t see anything but possible rain showers in clouds. I have lost the gift of the imagination I once had as a kid. Now everything is bleak and grey. Like all the life has been sucked out of it. I close my eyes again and feel a splash of a drop on my eye and open them again. The rains just starting. Better to move to shelter then to stay out in the rain. I slowly get to my feet, my back aches from sleeping on the bench all night. I stuff my old crinkled hands deep in my pockets, making the best effort to keep them warm. I walk towards the entrance of the train station. Probably best to stay there until the rain stops. As I walked to the entrance of the subway I pass a women and a young boy on the side walk and don’t miss that while they give me looks of pity, there pace increases only a little until there safely past me.