Everything is not as Good as it Seems | Teen Ink

Everything is not as Good as it Seems

April 16, 2014
By Neshae BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
Neshae BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was another typical day; answering the questions the teacher asks, getting taunted by other classmates and being embarrassed by what they say. Almost every time this happened- which seemed like a lot- Frankie asked herself, “Why do I do that?” Now, she was not the most confident person because of how much the rude and inconsiderate middle school people were. Yet today, March 27th, was the day insecure Frankie realized it was time for her to change; but this was definitely not the best decision she has made.

When Frankie decided what to do, she set her mind to looking like a popular girl. She was going home and demanding new everything. Frankie wanted the latest jeans, shirts, hottest shoes, brand new hipster glasses, better looking room, and let’s not forget the new hair everyone wanted. This wasn’t a normal thing she asked for, so her mom was a little thrown off. The main thing Frankie really wanted was the new clothes and hair. She thought it would be so nice having beautiful long dark brown hair with caramel highlights, and the new amazing trends. Quite frankly, Frankie was tired of the Harry Potter glasses, Aeropostale clothes, ugly clickty-clackty shoes, and no make-up. So, that day, her mom and she went shopping for the Hollister clothes, Ugg boots, Victoria Secret sweats, and getting her hair and nails perfect to the tip.

March 29th, the day she snapped. Nothing was as luminous as her childhood. Eve though, Frankie wanted to grow up so fast because she thought it was going to be so grand. When she was little, life was a breeze; Frankie never had to care what others thought because she was an innocent child. As Frankie got home, she immediately went to her room because her feelings were beyond damaged. Enduring another day of bullying and judgment put Frankie into a burst of waterfalls out of her eyes. She soaked her sleeve from wiping her eyes so much. Frankie cried for a small amount of time without her mom even knowing. Her next move was unbelievable to anyone; Frankie quietly sauntered past her living room into the left corner cabinet, you could call it the medicine cabinet. She had grabbed the pain reliever and took 23 of the pills. This was not an easy task choking down tiny but powerful pills as if she was gulping water like a fish when they needed air. Taking the medicine wasn’t because she wanted to be neither dead nor alive, but Frankie wanted to be gone. She wanted to be able to float on clouds while eating her favorite frozen yogurt. After she had taken the pills, Frankie felt so guilty and ran to her mom, crying. She tells her mom, “I messed up Mom.” Immediately her mother put the pieces together.

As Frankie’s mom drove Frankie to the E.R., her mom kept asking questions. The most painful question her mom asked was, “Was all those clothes, that I bought you, what caused this?” By this time, Frankie’s body was shutting down like she was a computer. When Frankie and her mom arrived, Frankie was in a movie scene; not a real one, but one she sees all the time on TV. There was yelling nurses, a bright red stretcher, bright penetrating lights, her panicking mother, and a tall dark haired mom who looked disappointed at Frankie, every glance he gave her.

After a about a week, the E.R. released Frankie, and she was going to be an outpatient for recovery. She moped at the thought of even still being alive, until her best friends were at her house waiting with red roses and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup candy. These were her two favorite things and only Rosa and Noelle knew this. Everyone went inside to greet Frankie for coming home. When Rosa got the big blue pillow next to the wall by the bed, she settled. Then Frankie and Noelle got settled into both their spots; Noelle got settled in the “L” shaped video gaming chair with multiple nail polish colors on it and Frankie laid out on her stomach, on her queen sized bed she loves so much. The two girls were just as curious as Frankie’s mom was, so they asked questions just like her mom. Every time Frankie answered the questions, Rosa and Noelle had solemn looks because they were so speechless but cares so much about their best friend. After a couple minutes of silent misery and thinking of how the two girls could’ve helped, Noelle thought of something that may cheer Frankie up. Noelle caringly said, “No matter what you have been through and no matter what you look like, Rosa and I care for you. Not only that, but if those people who gossip about you, want to judge you, they must obviously aren’t very intelligent people to portray in life.” Frankie smiles.