Civil Disobediance | Teen Ink

Civil Disobediance

June 9, 2014
By Carson Wright BRONZE, RochesterHills, Michigan
Carson Wright BRONZE, RochesterHills, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Characters
BILL: A riot policeman hiding in a building from stray bullets.
TED: A rioter hiding in the same building for the same reason.
Setting

A large abandoned corporation building, possibly an old office building. The two find themselves in a small room on the first floor, unable to leave because of the chaos outside from recent political riots.
Time

Late evening. It is dark outside, however there is a glow from fires in the background.
Act I, Scene 1
Both characters enter scene at the same time, from opposite sides of the stage, both duck under desks, trying to hide from one another. Once they realize they both are hiding they stop and go to meet one another.
TED
You’re not going to arrest me are you?
BILL
And take you where? There’s no safe way out of this building without getting shot.
TED
Yeah that seems to be the downside to the whole revolution thing.
(A bullet goes through the window and nearly misses the pair. At this both characters duck and take cover beneath the windows, sitting next to each-other.)
TED
Jeeze! That one was close!
BILL
You’re telling me. This vest has saved me many times today.
(BILL points to his chest.)
TED
I don’t suppose you’ve got a spare?
BILL
No. I’d give you this one but then I’d be stuck without one. I’ll give you my club though.
TED
No I couldn’t take it from you. Besides, from the way it looks out there, you guys are pretty outmatched. You’ll need it more.
BILL
That’s what you think; just wait ‘till the military gets here.
TED
(TED, looking frightened.)
Military! I can’t be here if military is coming! I have a wife. And kids!
BILL
Oh, don’t worry that much. It’ll be days until they get here.
(There is silence for a moment.)
BILL (Continued)
So you got a wife, huh? And kids?
TED
Yup. Well, I have one kid. Why do you think I’m out here? For fun? I’m out here fighting for ‘em. Why are you out here, fighting for the glory of the men whose statues we pulled down?
BILL
Psh. I don’t care about those old crones. I’m here for the same reason as you. I have a wife and kids too. I’m out here fighting for them. I’m out here fighting because it’s my job. It’s how I put food on their plates.
TED
Yeah I suppose that’s easy to say when you’re one of the lucky few who actually have a job.
BILL
C’mon if I wanted to fight with you I wouldn’t have sat here. I’m not your enemy. The state is.
TED
And you, sadly, work for the state.
(Silence for a moment)
BILL
So why did you come to this building?
TED
It was the only one without snipers on the roof.
BILL
Huh. Same reason as me.
TED
Doesn’t seem like were that different.
(There is an explosion in the background)
BILL
(BILL looks out a window)
Jesus! Look! The whole square that was on fire exploded.
TED
(TED, not bothering to look)
Good that was the square where they kept the dictator’s money. It was probably from gas.
BILL
No. It was something else. We shut off the gas hours ago.
(Jet noises go overhead.)
TED
What the hell! Those were air force. You said the military wasn’t coming for days.
BILL
Well, it’s the air-force not the military.
TED
I fail to see how it’s any better.
BILL
It’s not.
(Silence for a moment)
TED
So what’s your name anyway?
BILL
Bill, you?
TED
Ted.
BILL & TED
Nice to meet you.

(They both shake hands. There is silence for a moment.)
TED
Well, since the military is coming I think I’ll take that club.
BILL
Here, take the vest too. I’m tired. I’m going home. And then, tomorrow, I’m moving to another country. I’m sick of this.
(BILL takes of his vest, hands it to Ted with the club. BILL exits stage right.)
TED
That sounds like a good idea.
(TED exits stage left. Fade to black with an explosion sound.)