About as Cliche as it Gets | Teen Ink

About as Cliche as it Gets

July 27, 2014
By Pay15 GOLD, Boise, Idaho
Pay15 GOLD, Boise, Idaho
16 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."



- The Fault in our Stars


“Mel, come on,” he said tugging her arm. “No, I don’t want to look at the stars, it’s a total cliché and absolutely ridiculous.” She answered eyebrows raised. “Easy, just close your eyes,” he said smirking. She glared no comeback coming to mind. He smirked knowing he won. She rolled her eyes and followed him to the grass. He tugged her down next to him grabbing her hand. “This is so ridicu- “Shut up Mel.” She glared at him. He didn’t move, he just continued staring up at the stars. She lay for a few more moments then began to rise. He stopped her by grabbing her waist. “Melanie just look at them please,” he whispered. His voice was so sincere that she lay back down looking up. She never understood what people saw in the stars. They were just like the sun only farther away. Sure she liked the shiny part and the light they gave off, but lots of thing were shiny and gave off light. Yet, it seemed that a majority of people in the world were obsessed with them. They just didn’t seem special to her. She looked over at the boy lying next to her and rolled her eyes. It seemed he was in the majority; he was utterly captivated. It was like he had never seen them before. Then he spoke, “Look at them, they are spectacular.” She just shook her head, “Why? Flashlight’s do the same thing, only you can hold them.” She replied. He turned his head glaring, “But they don’t give out hope. They don’t give people hope for a better tomorrow. They don’t give people the hope that there are other places with people like them. People don’t like to feel alone, Mel, and the stars reduce that feeling. Our need for others is what makes our life incredible.” She just looked at him. “Then there is the fact the stars are like pain and heartache. They hide when things are bright, but then they show up in the dark. They are never truly gone, just hidden like the pain every one feels. But they don’t stop shining for us. We need that. People need consistence and something to hold onto and look to in this world that is so crazy. The stars they give that to us, not flashlights.” She looked at him, his eyes glinting with a fire, willing her to understand. She turned away from him looking up. After a few minutes she reached up trying to grab one. “I want to touch one of them,” she whispered. He reached up intertwining their fingers and pulling them down. “That’s the beauty of them, they are always there, but downright untouchable, and we can never alter or damage them.” A comfortable silence fell between them. “ I guess they really have a complex sort of beauty that a flashlight will never have,” she murmured more to herself then him. She felt him squeeze her hand tighter and thought as cliché as this is I might kinda like it.