The Last One | Teen Ink

The Last One

By J.Dawson GOLD, Connersville, Indiana
J.Dawson GOLD, Connersville, Indiana

"I love you. You hurt me again and again, but I love you"-Reality Bites

It's my birthday today. Did you notice? I figured that you would block it out because that would mean letting your stubborn walls down. And I know that we got into a fight and said s*** that we didn't mean. I hurt you and you hurt me. That's how it is though. We are fierce competitors. We try to one up each other until it becomes to much and I say something that goes too far. We stop speaking...we stop thinking. We go through the motions in life, stopping only to glance into the past for a moment.
The cigarette between my teeth is getting shorter. I'm running out of time, love. Not just in the days that I live but in the patience I have for this horrible, heart breaking game. I don't think I can take another round. And I don't think I can stand to listen to the silence of loneliness anymore. I think it's time, my darling, that we give in to the life we have before us. I think that maybe it's time to realize that it doesn't involve us together. I'm sorry...you'll forever have a place in my heart that no one else can have. I doubt you read these letters, poems, songs that I write for you. But I think that this might just be the last.