Ping Pong | Teen Ink

Ping Pong

By JbRichards18 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
JbRichards18 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

All I wanted was a win. I come from a very athletic and competitive family. So when you challenge someone to a match of ping pong, it’s very serious.
“Hey Jason, want to play some ping pong?’ My brother asked.
I didn’t know how to respond, I was very surprised by the offer, “Yeah sure. But do you really want me kick your butt?”
“Oh, I see how it’s going to be,” We both started to make our way downstairs, we turned on the lights, grabbed paddles and started to play. All you could hear was the ball bouncing back and forth, both of us playing our hardest.And we were just warming up. Then the match started and out of the gate we were both going at it but he was too good for me, just edging me out 17-21. No words were said between the two of us, we just played.
“So what was that about you kicking my butt?!?”  He said mocking me
“Tomorrow we will play.” I said confidently. We both walked up stairs and as we came to the top he proclaims his victory to family. As I make my long shameful walk to my room I think about how he was playing and how I can beat his style of play. He is good at everything, the only way I may be able to beat him is by getting better than him at everything.
The next day I found my brother waiting by the door.
“Ping pong?” He asked
“Let’s do this.” I responded. We walked down and started to play, I just couldn’t get things to go my way. I lost again 15-21, but determined to win I played him again, again and again. But still no luck. I lost all three and my short term goal of kicking my brother’s butt in ping pong was gone. From then on out, everyday I got home from school I would play my brother. I still haven’t won but if I keep playing I’ll get lucky one of these times.