The Price of Words | Teen Ink

The Price of Words

By m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania

"You never know until you try!" -author unknown

I remember the day like it was yesterday.  I think of it every night and lay there regretting every word I ever said.  

Rachle Meyers had been my best friend since first grade.  She was the extremly shy sort who only spoke if she was spoken to first.  Some how the first day of school we connected and were best friends until the awful day in Twelfth grade.

The day started of normal. We sat down at lunch and had a good conversation. She was a little quiter than normal but I figured it was no big deal.  Until I was getting my books out of my locker and my other friend Susan came up to me.  She asked me if I had found out about Rachle.

I found out that Rachle had been carrying on with my boyfriend. Extremely upset, I confronted her.  I told her that we were done being friends and that I never wanted to talk to her again. She tried to say that it wasn't like it sounded but I ignored her.

A week went by without us talking.  I begain wondering if our friendship was worth losing over a boy.  I decided that that I would apologize to Rachle and hopfully we could be friends again.

Only the next day never came for Rachle.  I remember like it was yesterday. My teacher coming in to class, grief written on her face and telling us that Rachle had died.

It had been a freak accidant.  She had been going down her outside basement steps when she had slipped on ice.  Her neck was broken on impact and she died instantly.

Ten years later it still comes back to haunt me.  I will always regret my unkind words to her.

No matter what happens in life chose your words carefully.  They could be the last words you'll ever speak to that person.