The Wounded One | Teen Ink

The Wounded One

By kenzie2014 BRONZE, N/A, Illinois
kenzie2014 BRONZE, N/A, Illinois

"But sadly I was born in the era where a 'Good Morning' text is the most romantic gesture ever."

Nineteen year old Tatum Archer, high school graduate, has the world at her feet or should we say mother's doorstep. Accepted into the University of Washington along with best friend Talia Matthews, both travel across country in a crappy old Jeep to college. But what's that? Tatum and Talia's moms are coming with.

It's been exactly 369 days since Zane Archer was gunned down in a gas station. 183 days since Tatum's dad was arrested for killing the gunman. 93 days since Tatum lost her daughter Olivia. 79 days since graduation. 20 days till college. 4 days till move in. 

Chapter 1: The Prologue

The flashing lights through my window and my mom’s ear bleeding screech are what woke me up. It was a little after 4 in the morning when someone started banging on the red front door. I could here my mother sobbing at the kitchen table when I walked to the top of the stairs. My dad stood with his arms crossed while he talked to the two police officers that stood in the doorway. My stomach dropped when I heard them say my brother’s name. My dad’s head instantly turned towards me when the stair squeaked underneath the weight of my 110-pound body.
“Tatum…” I swallowed the saliva in my mouth and rubbed my bicep nervously.
“Dad, what’s going on?” His face fell and I instantly noticed a couple tears streaming down his cheeks. I stood frozen on the stairs when the younger looking police officer turned towards me. He looked me right in the eyes causing all the air in my lungs to escape.
“Ma’am, Mr. Zane Archer was killed either this morning in an attempted robbery.” I gasped quietly and tears instantly threatened my eyes. I met eyes with my dad and slowly turned around on the stairs. I ran quickly back up the stairs and into my room locking the door behind me.
“Tatum… open up.” I lifted my head off my pillow for the first time in twelve hours. “Please?” I wiped the tears off my cheeks and grabbed my sweater from my closet shelf. I took a deep breath and slowly pulled my bedroom door open to find Talia standing in the hallway with balloons and a cupcake with a candle. “Happy Birthday Tatum.” I slightly smiled and grabbed the balloons from her, tying them to my desk chair.
"Thanks Talia.” I sat on my bed and hugged a pillow. “I don’t really feel like celebrating.” I could feel tears falling from my eyes again. I noticed Barry standing in the doorway. Talia walked over to my bed sitting next to me and rested a hand on my shoulder gently.
“You’re dad told us.” I took a deep breath and looked right into Talia’s big brown sympathetic eyes. “Want to watch a movie? We’ll stay with you.” I nodded and laid down on the queen-sized bed while Talia turned on a movie and Barry pulled me into his arms.
“I’m pregnant.”