A Family Gathering | Teen Ink

A Family Gathering

February 28, 2016
By MiliK BRONZE, Mumbai, Maine
MiliK BRONZE, Mumbai, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   When we students are in tenth standard we often become the centre of attraction and attention among the people. While we are going to the classes, and if someone meets us, then the most probable question to us is, "How is your tenth going on?". And the worst part is that if we answer that question, then we cannot escape from the another set of questions which is ready in their mind. Almost a similar case happened with me during a family gathering. Lets take a view of it.

   It was unce and aunt's twenty fifth wedding anniversary. So on the occassion of so-called 'Silver Jublee' they had organised a family get-togather. I had my classes at the time of gathering, but my mother insisted me on coming to the event. I actually didn't wish to go there because i knew that there would be a rapid fire round with me. Soon, it was six o'clock and we all had gathered in the banquet hall. The couple arrived in the hall and there was a shower of flowers on them. We all sang some songs of celebrfations and my uncle-aunt soon cut their wedding cake. All this time I was feeling relaxed for the members not encountering me.

  After the cake-cutting, all decided to play 'Antakshari'. I was much chilled out and was feeling relaxed. I thought that it was good of my mom to insist me and so i had no regrets. We all were singing, dancing and enjoying and in no time the 'media' encountered me. Suddenly, my uncle asked me,"Mili, how is your tenth going on?". Soon the regretful thoughts started arousing in my mind. I replied that it was going good and my prelims will start next week. Still i was completing my answer, another member i.e., my cousin asked me about which stream I want to choose after tenth. I answered,"Arts". All of them were shocked and reacted as if they had never heard about this stream. To remove the shock from everyones face, my dad said proudly that mili is just joking and she is going to take Commerce. I thought that no one would know about Commerce because majority of my family members had opted for Science. But, Fortune was not with me. My uncle himself was the top-ranker in Commerce. The rapid-fire round had started and soon it was heating up. If my uncle used to stop for a while, then in a second my aunt or my grandfather would start. The banquet hall was beginning to be a interview hall. The hot topics started on the best college for Commerce, the carrers which i can opt through it, the salary that I will get and all that blah, blah. I was irritated a lot because no one was asking me about what I have decided for my life and instead, they all continued. I had to only answer 'YES' and nod my head for the things they went on saying. My brother said that I should become a Chartered Accountant and my life will be like 'Bill Gates'. I was so tired of listening to everyone that now I didn't even reply, but I just nodded my head in thee hope that they will stop questioning when they would notice that I m losing my interest from that topic. But God's grace was not on me that day. They reached till the height of the companies in which I should be the CA.

  But thank God, my mom realized that I was getting irritated a lot. no doubt that she reallized later,but then she said,"We all will keep another gathering for this topic, but for now lets enjoy the Silver Jublee of the couple". Actually I was expecting mom to say something else, but she had kept another danger waiting. Yet I felt relief for the media's session was over. Everyone started their dinner while I was cursing all of them from the corner of my heart. 

  But the fact is they all cared for me and were concerned for me so they were advicing me. I should have felt blessed. But after all we are teenagers and so, we all take annother view. The moral is "Never go to a family gathering when you are in tenth."


The author's comments:

This piece is specially for the students who are in tenth and it is to make people realize about the problems faced by these students.