A Six String Man | Teen Ink

A Six String Man

By ANorth8 BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
ANorth8 BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

"Out beyond ideas, of right doing and of wrong doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there" -Rumi

The Buddha

Like the Buddha, he is wise, peaceful, and accepting. He sees our lives changing, fluctuating day by day. One day we are caterpillars, the next we’re soaring as new butterflies, and those sweet butterfly beauties will someday die. He accepts this truth with a smile. No crashing wave can knock him from his jovial stance. No test of life can wipe the humble smile from his full, rested face. 

The Grunt

Like the army grunt, he is dutiful, strong, and selfless. Every day he trudges through grief, gets his boots dirty in puddles of pain, and falls asleep on a hard mattress of hurt. Every new dawn he wakes up to face new enemies and new mountains, all courtesy of his deep seeded, selfless duty. He humbly takes orders to pick up his burden and march on for his long deployment. 

The Child

Like a Child, he’s excitable, silly, and exploring. He jumps into new adventures wholeheartedly, investing his abundant energy into what makes him shine with happiness. His interests change like the weather, one day he’s building a model hovercraft, the next he’s planting a garden. He dances like nobody is watching, and fears no foreign judgement. His soul is so jubilant and young.

The Mute

Like a mute, he quietly listens, understands, and comforts. He never halts my ever chugging train of thought. He doesn’t interrupt the words of my heart to put in his own two cents. He listens not to respond, but to understand. Every word I say is accounted for in the archives of his mind. When I speak, he listens wholeheartedly for my good, not a single self serving word rolls from his tongue. 

The EMT

Like an EMT, he’s reliable, curing, and compassionate. In what seems to me a crisis, he is calming. Whenever I find myself broken, he patches me up. He cures my every ill as best he can, with love and compassion. He is experienced in injuries and helps me to deal with mine, as he learned to deal with his. He’s always available to me when I might need.

The Tour Guide

Like a Tour guide, he’s patient, he shows me the way. As I stumble cluelessly through the foreign streets of life, he explains where to go. He points out the points of interest, showing what to do and what to avoid. He answers my every question as I wonder at the world around me. He always has a kind smile on his face as he imparts on me a never ending well of wisdom as we ride through life.  

Six strings can be counted on the hands, but all I’ve ever needed is my six stringed man. 

For my Dad, I love you!

ANorth8 BRONZE said...
ANorth8 BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

Thank you so much!

sassy_scribe_777 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families.

Amazing! I can't wait to read the next thing you post!