Primavera | Teen Ink

Primavera

June 19, 2016
By Marian BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
Marian BRONZE, Santa Clarita, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was once told,” Everything happens for a reason”. I never believed them, or that something so vast was to occur. Maybe I spooked to soon.

My brother was in the hospital. He had a serious conflict with his autonomic nerve system. He has been in here for the past five weeks.
We were playing baseball in the yard. When I threw the baseball towards him and instead of a perfect catch, he dropped it. Stumbled back, his left hand holding his right. He panics, saying that he couldn’t move his arm. I rushed into the house where my mom was washing the dinner dishes,
“Ma! Alex he can’t- his arm… he can’t move his arm” I yell.
Mom stops the sink,” Josh!” screaming at my father. He jumps off the couch and out the back door towards my brother.
“ Get him to the hospital” he picks him and runs around the side part of the house to the wooden gate. Mom is ahead of him and opens the gate to the unlock car. Dad manages to open the backseat door and place Alex on the right side. Mom and him jump in the front,
While I take my place in the back next Alex. He stays in pain, not as much as he was while we were playing.
We are suddenly at the hospital. Dad gets Alex and runs through the animatic doors,” Xander go sit in the lobby”

It was a blur after that.
1
The next five weeks I spent coming to visit Alex. I saw him getting better, he turned to me and ask, “Xander do you think, god will help me,” I smiled,” of course Alex, you’re not by your self”. The nurse comes in saying that is was time for me to leave. Looked at Alex and turn to face the nurse,” can’t I stay longer?” she looks at me with sorrow eyes. I nod and turn to Alex,” I’ll see you tomorrow”. I see the discomfort reaction in his body,” hey, we’re in this together. You and me” I say back to him, my left hand garbing hold my necklace and the other placing it on top of his forearm. He smiles,” tomorrow” I say and walk out.

Alex is felt lying. After his brother walks out,” see you, some day” Alex gives a breath before closing his eyes and drifts of into a dark sleep.
January, 18 Connecticut, New Hartford
Lovers House, a diner sat in the middle of nowhere. Trees sounded it, open grassland far of miles to the right.
A rainy day, but a perfect day for outdoors exploring. The rain was uncovering secrets that have never been seen before.  Dirt and water fly down the streets. Droplets falling of off tree leaf, and down the diner’s windows. Inside Xander sat staring at his cold glass of water with his wet jacket still on him. Looking at nothing, but the past. It has been a year since his brother has past away.
Xander is sitting inside a black car with his mom and dad in the back site. They arrive to Fairview Cemetery and the driver opens the door. Xander steps out, moving to his parent’s side. His mom attempts to grab hold of his hand,
2
” Xander, please grab my hand” again his mother tries, but Xander pushes her hand and stumbles backwards.
“ Xander, please we’ll get through his together” his mother pleading, desperation in her voice, but Xander does not notice. He turns and runs away until he reaches his brothers headstone.

Alex Martin
October 15,2001
To 2013

  Xander drops to his knees and gasps for air taking in his brother’s grave scent that took over his freshly one.
He head snaps back when the episode finishes and to his right an old man comes in. He is greeted by one of the waitress,
“Morning Mr. Brown” a delightful Cora says. The old man smiles back, taking his rain jacket off,” well, it is a good morning to you, Cora” he turns and greets a couple at a table right side back from Xander. Mr. Brown takes a seat next to Xander on the counter.
Props his belonging on the next stool, places his hand on the counter. He turns to Xander studies him carefully with confusion. Finally,” Well, what brings you here boy?”. He waits for a respond, but nothing comes out of Xanders mouth. A waitress comes by and places a cup of coffee in front of Mr. Brown.
4
Xander’s eyes dart to Mr. Brown, while slowly begins to sit back into the counter stool.

“ What’s your name?” Mr. Brown asks again, nothing

He keeps trying,” I don’t think, your parents would be to happy with you by your self” says while taking a sip of his coffee.

Xander responds,” They know where I am,” he says without the need to look at Brown and say is in his face.

“ Well, it turns out he can talk” Brown laughs. Placing a hand on the counter and the other on his leg.

When he feels that he had finally knew what was going on, he lens in,” You a run away?” Mr. Brown whispers.
Xander jerks his head to Brown,” Xander, my name is Xander. Not short for Alexzander”.

This time Xander doesn’t turn away. He keeps his stare to Mr. Brown,” and no, I’m” turning his stare back to the counter,” not a run away”.
5
Cora comes behind the counter with a plate in her hand, grabs the keptucp and walks away.
“ How old are you?” Mr. Brown asks
“ 13” Zander responds; yet he keeps his eyes down.
Mr. Brown lens in,” did something happen at home?” Xander turns to him in a confused way.

“ Is that why you ran away?” Mr. Brown continues once again.” Lost a family member, broke up with your girlfriend or got in a fight with friend?”
Xander stars at Brown in a surprising, yet again more confusing way.

Xander locks his lips together, swallowing saliva “What do you want from me?” raising his voice and looking directly at Brown.

Costumer’s heads snap towards them in an alarm. Xander takes a few sighs, closing his eyes.
“Why are you asking me this questions?” ask while reopening his eyes and focusing on Mr. browns brown eyes with his blue ones.
Brown as well takes few short breaths and leans back into his seat stool against the counter. Keeps looking at Xander then move his eyesight to the kitchen to find Cora looking at them. Mr. Brown’s attention is turned to Xander whose mouth making sobs noises.
6
Brown looks at Xander, he places a hand on his thigh. Cora moves to the end of the counter where a computer sits.  A Couple rushes into the diner, taking off their jackets and closing the umbrella with water dripping of their hair and skin.
Cora greets with a warm smile trying to put aside Xander and Brown,“ Hello welcome Lover’s House.”
The couple smiles, then moves from the door to a table at the far left with old fashion pictures of the diner’s opening.

Cora picks up a glass and fills it with milk, setting it down in front of Xander and placing a hand on his shoulder. He gives a small smile back to Cora.
Xander and Brown eyes dart back and forth each other.
Xander licks his lips and shaking his head. He turns his head towards Brown

“You wouldn’t understand” he states and once again shaking his head and turning.
He stands up, but Brown puts a hand on his left shoulder, a small grin appears on his thin lips
“I was only trying to help. I’m an old man,” He states.
Xander smiles at Brown, than turns to Cora.
“Thank you” giving a small smile to her.

“ Come back when you need company” Xander takes one last glance at the diner, now noticing that everyone is now staring at him.
7
His eye now focus to the floor, tears starting to form in his eyes“ I lost my brother” looking up, sighs, and tries not cry,” and my parents haven’t been- they have put their distance. I remind them too much of him. He had a problem with his nerve system…”
Before he could continue, he stops and looks at Mr. Brown once again their eyes lock.

“That wasn’t your fault. Your parents love you. Its hard, but ya’ll have to help each other” Mr. Brown walks up to Xander putting his hands into his pockets.

He smiles, now crying. Sobs escape from his mouth.
“ I- I love them, but my dad works harder and my mom does her house jobs and I feel as if they are trying to forget him, but they are also forgetting me” placing hand on his chest between his heart.
“ Xander, what time does your dad get out off work?”

“ At 6” he is able to respond, but a sob escapes his mouth at the last part.

“Well, it seems to me that you always had your brother, but now you have to fill in the blanks.”
Xander stare with hopeful eyes. Turns at the mention of his name,

“Xander,” A women who happens to be his old school teacher,” it seems that the reason that your brother left, was for you to knowing what is like begin alone”
8
He turns back to the floor, not believing what he is saying,” Is this true? Alex’s absents is just to teach me a lesson?”

“Sometimes, life is that hard. I was 21 and newly married with my wife the most beautiful women I ever seen. Once I saw stressed in her eyes. I though it was because of work, but she had another lover,” Brown crosses his arms sitting down on the stool,” she died in a car accident with me. I had blamed my self, but when I found out about her affair I was so mad, yet I could not stop the love.”

“ Sometimes, love hurts, but if is is stronger it can hold on.”

Cora is the last one to speak up” and Xander, your brother must have loved you enough, to be part of this. His body might be gone, but his spirit is still with you.”

He grabs hold of is necklace,” what is that?” Brown asks
“ Its like a BFF charm accept for brothers, Alex had the other half.” Xander explains.

Brown chuckles,” well, you can’t have Xander without Alex”

Alexander
“ I think its time to get you home.” Brown begins walking Xander; the costumers create a walkway isle, like some sort of hero they’re honoring. They make it to the glass door
9
,” Okay, we have had quite a talk, and I think you should talk with your parents. You’re a young man, you need to be ready” Placing his palms on Xanders both shoulders,” are you ready?” Xander nods his head in agreement looking directly to Mr. Brown
“ Okay,” Brown takes his hands off Xanders shoulders turns his body gesturing Xander out the door.
One more smile, and one last glance. He walks out of the diner putting his blue hoodie of his army jacket.
Rain starts to pour again; he begins to walk and gradually speeds up. He runs in the middle of nowhere, but nowhere is home for him. He jumps next a tree, looking out to the streets and heads for the woods. It takes a mile until he reaches a grey house with a red door.
Sneaks up behind the back yard a memory, blurry, but still real starts to appear.

He’s back with his brother, where both are sitting on the grass reading a book together.
Robin Hood.
Alex turns to his twin” Xander, you remind me of Robin.” Xander turns to Alex and gins,” Why?”
Alex sighs,” he is determine, yet soft: when his with the Marry Men he holds this strictness, but when he is with Maid Marian he turns soft like that baby blanket you still sleep with.”
Xander laughs,” Hey, well what about you rabbit”. Mom called Alex rabbit and Xander peanut since they were born. Xander turns to Alex” well what about you? “Alex looks from the book to Xander with a smile,“ What am I to you?” Before Xander could finish
the memory, his mother comes outside,” Rabbit, come inside” Xander plasters a small grin walking across the yard into the house.
“ So, Alex I put your clothes on your bed” his mom says while putting dishes away in a cabinet. Xanders lens into the wall close to the door, he smiles when his mom looks up,” Mom, I’m not Alex” his mothers smile fades into two thin rosy lips with a gap in-between.
“ Xander!” Xander’s cries not begin able to hold in how desperate he is and his desire for
love and attention.
When his mother and him were just eye locking, he gives up, feeling weak. Adrenaline rushing through his body he brazes out of the room. He walks up to his room where he opens the door wide open. Two white undershirts, a mustard button down shirt, and black pants sit neatly folded on his late brothers bed. His room was an average size with two beds on each corner facing a window with yellow window seat decorated with navy blue pillows. Both were the same navy blue comforter with the extra touch of orange and plaited pillows, and then there were the walls, painted heather grey.
Too many memories playing on there own, his brothers ubiquities form, a dark, tall shape that once filled the Hartford woods, brings tears to Xanders eyes.
Its takes a few breaths to put Xander at ease, but he tips toe down the stars. Realizing that his father was home, he stops at the edge of the staircase. Listing to his parents
Conversation,” went down to the Lovers house diner. They were talking about a boy who came in. And feeling sorry, something about a family trouble.” they continue to discuses He realizes that he was that boy, so he step out of the shadow that was hiding him,” I know who the, boy is”
Both his parents look up,” Who?” his father ask without looking from the mail.
“ Me” those two words easily escape his mouth.
Both of his guardians look up, tears forming in his eyes, wising that his brother was here to help him.
his mom notices the water forming and moves to huge him. Xander drops his arms around his mom’s square shoulders, a memory coming again, wanting to be played
Walking from school with Alex was Xander playfully pushes Alex and then vises versa.
“ Hey, I’m west, and your east.” Xander looks at him with confusion.
“ Wherever you are I’ll be there”
He never really understood what his brother meant.
The memory ends, and Xander is felt with both his parents wrap around him.

 

 

12


I never saw what became of Xander Martin, but his eyes,
burn in my brain like a magical brain tattoo.
-Mr. Brown
Fin.


The author's comments:

What kind of people whould take the risk to help a lonely face? that is my question. Fact that there are more people out there that say they would do anything to help anyone or the people they love, but doing it is the real action.