The Other | Teen Ink

The Other

By Kukura DIAMOND, Denver, Colorado
Kukura DIAMOND, Denver, Colorado

She clutched the gun to her trembling chest, breathing in shakily, and letting in out in little, nervous gasps. Her anxious heart drumming inside of her, like the drum roll to her grand finale.

Tears were falling down like raindrops off of her eyelashes, rolling down her cheeks like a gentle, dripping faucet. Her long, raven hair hung in a tight, high ponytail, her bangs pinned back. She wanted to see her face when doing this. She had been hiding for mirrors for so long; she wanted to watch as she finally crashes down.

She wandered around the empty house to the bathroom. She was barely able to turn the knob; her hands were shaking so badly. She finally opened the door and flipped on the light. A long white sheet hung loose over the mirror. She ripped it off, shutting her eyes tight.

Slamming the gun on the counter, her eyes opened. She could barely recognize herself. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy, deep dark circles outlining them. Her usual athletic body had shrunk to be think and bony, so brittle and fragile that one gust of wind could blow her away. Her skin was thin and ghostly pale; nearly translucent.

She looked directly into her own eyes, searching for the other. A sharp rush of pain ran through her. She slammed her hand on the counter as her head fell down. She heard screaming, deafening screaming. It was her.

Why are you trying to do this to me Sadie? What have I ever done to you?

'You ruined my life! Everything! I am nothing now!!' she screamed at the mirror.

Me? Oh honey, you did all of that yourself

Sadie shook her head, hopelessly sobbing.

Oh yes you did. And now, you cannot do anything. You're just a useless, pathetic, waste of time.

Sadie looked up into the mirror.

'I-I am?' she cried.

Yes dear, you are. Now, go ahead and shut of the light. We have plenty of business to do.

Sadie shook her head.

'No.'

What did you say? I believe it is time to turn off the light

'No!!' Sadie screamed.

DO IT!! The other screamed back

Sadie shakily picked up the gun.

Don't. You. Dare!

She held it up against her right temple, both hands tightly holding on.

The other smirked.

You wouldn't. You are too worthle-

Sadie turned the gun, and in one swift motion shattered the mocking glass. In the next motion, she shattered herself.

She fell to the floor. The bullet was exploding inside of her, destroying all that she had become. She felt one thousand tiny suns breathing inside of her, an inferno raging through her. She laid in a puddle of her own life, yet she smiled.

She created the monster, therefore, she destroyed it.

Laura H. said...
Powerful struggle. Emotional and heart wrenching. Mood evoking from beginning to end. Loved it! - L