Living Each Day | Teen Ink

Living Each Day

By MariaGarcia99 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
MariaGarcia99 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

I will always bring with me the memory of my love, the one who taught me to how to deal with life without being prepared. From high up in the sky she keeps showing me how to deal with life without her. Life is rough for everyone, life isn’t always fair and some always tend to get more of it than others.
It was 7:00 AM on a Wednesday, and Ximena had a doctor’s appointment with Dr. Garcia. I had told Ximena, my daughter, the day before that it was for me. Mommy I’m going with you right? I always do. “I think you should go to school. You will miss half of your school day.” Mom you’re funny, she then told me. You can’t go without me because you are too scared. You are afraid of shots, and when I’m with you, you stay brave. “Okay, you’re right we must go before we run late to my appointment.” As we drove to downtown Benwheeler, our song came up. We sang the whole way with joy. We entered the clinic, and I waited to be called on, “Angelica”, the nurse shouted. I stood up from the chair with Ximena following behind. When we got to the front the nurse greeted us. Then she walked us to the examination room, where we would wait until Dr. Garcia came and attended me. “How are you all doing this morning?” Dr. Garcia said, making his way in the room, “Good, thank you,” we replied. “Well today I will give you the shot and then bring in your pills.” As I sat in the exam table to get “my shot”, Ximena sat beside me. Wait mom I have to do it with you, so you don’t feel scared. Dr. Garcia shot me then Ximena, when he was all done he brought us our medication. “Here you go Ximena you have to take yours too” he said. Don’t worry doctor I will make sure mom takes hers with me.
  After dropping off Ximena at school, my phone started to ring. It was Dr. Garcia. “We need to talk, where can we meet”, he said. “We can meet at my house right when I get home from picking Ximena from school.” “That sounds good, see you in a couple hours” he said. When we got home Dr. Garcia got there right behind us. “Hello Ximena, Hi Ms. Angelica”, he said. “Hi Dr. Garcia. You may come inside and have a seat”. When we walked into the living room I told Ximena to go outside to water her roses and feed her fishes in the small garden waterfall. We continued to talk, “The treatment was unsuccessful, I am sorry to tell you this” Dr. Garcia said. There was a dead silence. “How much longer?” I asked. “Not much time, maybe days or weeks” he answered. He continued to talk, but I could not hear him. I was zoning out into space as my cheeks were drenched in sorrowful tears. I figured he was leaving, but I reacted minutes later when I observed Ximena through the kitchen window out to the garden. She was sitting in the shade, speaking to her flowers and fish as if she expected them to reply back. I always thought she felt a small hole in her that was filled up by speaking to the fragile petals and scaled fish. It was the place that gave her the peace she needed to feel better when she felt something was wrong with her. Even though she didn’t know that a heart defect, for which there was no cure, could kill her at any time. I thought she would like to travel and spend the rest of her living days in a place like Chiapas with its exuberant and luscious landscapes.
There I spent more time with Ximena where she enjoyed seeing a wide variety of faces, colors, clothing and adventures throughout the streets of Chiapas. We spent the rest of evening sitting on the beach where the sun shone gloriously through the clouds. It's blinding golden rays of light left all eyes laid in the awe. Ximena fell asleep on my shoulder as she peacefully shut her eyes and dreamt an everlasting dream.