Best Friends Forever | Teen Ink

Best Friends Forever

By Diamondlu SILVER, La, Georgia
Diamondlu SILVER, La, Georgia

I sat by the lake that was in a field by my house. My feet were dangling in the water. A cold sensation swept over my legs as a wave slammed into them, and I squealed of out surprise. Automatically I pulled my legs out of the water and laughed at myself for being so scared. I put my legs back in the water. “Lila?” I heard a voice calling for me, “Lila, where are you?” I recognized the voice as my best friend’s.
“I’m over here Mike!” I called out; lying down on the ground and my black curly hair sprawled out on the grass. The warm sun cast a warm sensation on my face, but it soon went away. I looked up to see Mike standing over me.

“Did you not get enough sleep last night, Lila?” He asked shaking his head with a chuckle jokingly.

I sat up and scooted making him a place to sit down, “For you information Mr. Michelle,” I said using his last name, “I went to bed early last night.” I lied believingly. He just shook his head at me, apparently not believing me, so I just shrugged. “So what are you doing out here this sunny afternoon?” I asked pulling my long, black, curly hair into a ponytail.

He just shrugged, “You know, just hanging out.” He said absently, and right away I knew something was wrong by the tone in his voice.

I stood up, “Well, would you like to go for a walk?” I asked, but not really giving him a choice because I dragged him up clutching to his arm.

“Oh since you gave me the choice yeah I'll go for a walk with you.” He said sarcastically.

I smiled at him and nodded my head approvingly, “That’s what I thought.” I said with a giggle and linked my arm with his, “So you want to go to the field?” I asked excitingly.

Mike smiled at her weakly and nodded, something was really on his mind, and I wanted to find out. I walked into the woods, and I unlinked my arm with his because it was a narrow path. I lead the way knowing the way better than Mike. We walked through the woods and the only thing you could hear was us stepping on the dead leaves, and the wind whistling through our hair. We came to what looked like a morphed tree that bent to where it looked like an archway. I smiled and glanced back at Mike and walked under it. Even after coming to this field of ours a million different times, I always felt a sensation of excitement when I approached it. The sun was being half blocked, but still shined in most places making the green grass look like a bluish green. The sun made the creek, which flowed down the field, glisten like there were diamonds buried within the water. Trees and rocks were shaped as if people carved them to look like benches. I smiled and grabbed Mike’s hand and dragged him to one of the trees that grew rounded where you could sit and dangle your feet in the water.

I looked at Mike knowingly as we sat down, “Now are you going to tell me what’s on your mind?” I asked with raised eyebrows. Mike sighed and looked at me, his eyes were filled with tears and he rarely ever cried. Something told me I didn’t want to know, but it wasn’t rather I wanted to know or not, it was that I needed to know. “Mike, are you okay?” I asked searching his face, my eyes full of worry. He didn’t answer though, he just shook his head. Something was really wrong, and it made my gut twist. I knew it was going to be terrible news.
I sighed and twisted my hand in his, “Mike you can tell me anything.” I said, looking straight in his foggy gray eyes.

Mike looked up at me and smiled, “You know how my dad has been sick?” he asked me, blinking back tears. I nodded wanting him to continue, I had an idea what was the matter, but I didn’t want to accept it. “Well this morning I went to go wake him up.” He said and a single tear went down his cheek not able to continue.

“But he didn’t wake up.” I finished for him, my eyes welling up with tears. I had known Mike since I was in diapers, so he and his family were like family to me. And for him to be the one to find his dad dead, well that was just terrible.

“He was my best friend.” He choked out threw tears while I comforted him.

“It’s alright, it’s aright.” I assured him, “I’m here for you.” When I said that he looked at me and bit his lip, something else was wrong, and I knew it was going to affect me harshly. “Mike, what else is wrong?” I asked and my breath caught, it seemed all of the oxygen around me became thick, I didn’t want to hear it, I needed to hear it. I kept telling myself over and over again.

“My mom wants to get away.” Mike said through a snuffle. “My mom and I are moving.”

This time my I stopped breathing completely, and everything got foggy and I could swear my tears looked worse than Niagara Falls. I could not accept this, I was hoping it was all a dream and I would wake up crying any minute, but I never woke up from this nightmare.

I looked up at him through my foggy eyes. This couldn’t be true, “please tell me this is a cruel joke.” I pleaded.

He just looked at me and said, “I wish it was, Lila.” Then he put his hand under my chin and tilted my head up where I was looking straight at him and he was looking straight at me, “You are my best friend, and I’ll miss you so much.” He told me truthfully, and out of no where he kissed me. There was nothing romantic or passionate about this kiss, it was from a true friend, and nothing more.

They say your whole life flashes before you die, but my whole life didn’t flash before my eyes because I wasn’t dieing, but if you lose a friend it’s much worse. Your whole life doesn’t flash before your eyes, but the memory of the times you’ve spent with them, and the arguments that seem so stupid now come back. You wish you had done something at a certain time, but then you realize it’s all over. You may not be physically dead, and your brain might not be mentally dead, but it feels like your heart has been ripped out of your chest, and at that specific moment you would wish you were dead, and I would rather die a million times rather than lose my best friend.

We broke apart and I looked at him in the eyes. I looked at him and said something that I knew would be true even if we were a million miles away

“Best Friends Forever.”