an ode to my love | Teen Ink

an ode to my love

February 8, 2019
By Kolin54 BRONZE, Moorpark, California
Kolin54 BRONZE, Moorpark, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Summer,

It’s been so long since I’ve seen you. I keep having these flashbacks to when we were us. I can’t get them out of my head. I’ll be at school trying to pay attention in class when they happen. They come out of nowhere and no matter how distracting they are, I love them. Because in those few moments, we’re us again. And there is nothing like that feeling in the whole entire world. I miss it. I miss you.

The day is November 23rd, 2018, it would have been our 2 year anniversary if you and I were still with each other. It’s crazy to think the last time was one year ago when you never showed up to our spot. I remember waiting there under that streetlight, while the engine idled and the raindrops splashed all around as if I was in the middle of some battle on a faraway land. I waited for minutes that turned into hours and you never showed. I’ll never forget that feeling.  But I digress from my point. Summer, I miss you like crazy. I can’t wait to see you again and hold you in my arms and feel your warmth again.

Your boy,

Dallas

 

She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Yes, every guy at some point in his life says that phrase to a girl but this time when he thought it, he actually meant it. No other girl he had ever seen in his life, had been as beautiful as this one. She stood there alone, leaning against the classroom building, taking shelter beneath the smallest ledge above, trying to get out of the rain. She was brunette and dressed in a white sundress with converse sneakers and held her backpack over her head, trying to keep her white dress from becoming see through. Her eyes held her own galaxy within them, the kind of eyes that people get lost in. Her skin was tan as if she spends her time at the beach but not too tan where she needs to take a break. As he neared her, he was trying to think of something good to say, because after all first impressions are pretty important when meeting girls who look like that. He walked up to her under the ledge and the only thing he could get out was, “I couldn’t let you wait here all alone.”


Dear Summer,

It’s January 23rd 2019 and I’m writing this to you as I sit in my car at our spot. The same way I did January 23rd 2018 when I was waiting for you to pull into the parking lot, get into my car and go to dinner as we would always do on our anniversaries. The 23rd of every month I always go to that same spot at 5 o’clock and hope and hope that you’ll answer my letters and meet me there. I’d love to talk to you. I love you and miss you. Please answer my letters.

Forever Waiting,

Dallas

“You know, I always thought you were the cutest girl at our school..” he said blushing a little as he looked at the table.

She blushed at his compliment, “Me? No. You must be thinking of any other girl. I’m ordinary.”

He got slightly serious and slid his hand over hers, “Not to me you aren’t.”

She looked at his hand, now holding hers. She felt his warmth enter her hands and move up her arm, now warming her entire body.


Dear Summer,

I thought I saw you today. I was at Chick-Fil-A with a few friends after school and I swore I saw you walking to a car in the parking lot. I got up and ran out into the parking lot but you and the car you got into were gone. I really hope you’re not avoiding me. I hope you’re getting my letters. I can’t wait to see you again. I hope you still want to see me. I know the last time we were supposed to hang out you never showed up. Please let me know if you got these letters, I’d give anything to hear your voice again. I love you, Summer. I wanna be us again.

Sincerely,

Dallas

They both got up and walked back to his car, walking close to each other, brushing shoulders with each step. As they approached his car Dallas stopped and looked at her and said,

“How do you think the beach looks right now?”

She stood for a second, then said, “I guess I don’t know, I’d imagine really pretty though.”

“Great,” he said, “Let’s go find out for ourselves…”

They both got into the car and he put on the radio and they headed for the beach.


Dear Summer,

My dearest, I’m sorry I haven’t written to you in a week. It’s been crazy here at home. I’m sure you understand. You’ve met my mother. Ever since we stopped being us, my grades in school have been dropping a little bit. And by dropping I mean bad enough where my parents had to get involved and we all had to meet with my teachers to discuss the causes for my sudden drop in grades. I was given a project by my English teacher to write a story about something I love. She said that if I did good on that she would pass me with a C. My parents have been pretty on me about it. It’s supposed to be 10 pages and so far I have one page. Well one word really, yours.

My mom walked into my room and saw me writing these letters to you. She got so mad she took them away from me. She said that I had to focus on “real” things like my English project. I don’t know why she took them away from me. She calmed down in a few days and gave me the letters and my stationery back. I can’t wait to see you again. Maybe I’ll see you over Spring Break? I love you.

Dallas


“Dallas you can’t keep writing letters to her”, his mom cried to him as she held them up in the air, her temper rising with tears falling from her eyes.

“Why not,” said Dallas, “One of these days, she’s going to read them and send me one back!”

“No she’s not,” she said, “...she’s just...not. Okay.”

“Mom, I love her. Please let me write her.”

“Dallas, it’s just not healthy.”

“I know she’s going to reply, She loves me too.”

“I know she loves you but you can’t keep writing letters to her. It’s not healthy. I love you too you know, I’m worried about you,” she said, sitting down on the bed, putting the tear-stained letters on the bed, “Summer died a year ago. She’s gone, honey. Writing these letters isn’t good for you.”

“She’s not dead. She’s here. I’ll see her again soon,” he said, getting up and storming out the door.


Weeks Later:

Coming home from school, Dallas pulled into the driveway. The sun began its descent down the sky and the clouds turned from white to pink cotton candy. He got his backpack and headed for the front door. A glimmer of white came from the doorstep. He walked to it and standing above this white object he looked closer. It was a letter to him. He picked it up and inspected it. It was a plain white envelope with the word “Dallas” on the front and no return address or stamps. He opened the front door, walked inside and opened it.


Dear Dallas,

Thank you for your letters darling. I read every single one. I know it’s been a while since we’ve talked but damn do I miss you. I miss our LA adventures and our drives with your hands all over my thighs. I remember also having to yell at you cause you would have your hands more on me than on the steering wheel.

I haven’t forgotten you just yet, I know I never will. I wish I could see you and be in your arms again. I want that so bad. But it’s not the time for that yet. You will see me again, but that time is not now and not for a while. When it’s time, I’ll be here waiting for you. We’ll be us again. I love you Dallas.

Your girl,

Summer


The author's comments:

This piece is inspired by my girlfriend.