Intensity | Teen Ink

Intensity

By Lindsey_O GOLD, Marshfield, Massachusetts
Lindsey_O GOLD, Marshfield, Massachusetts

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

The tears poured off her eyelids; slid down her cheeks; fell to the floor. Slowly she sank to the ground, trembling slightly. Her breath came in deep sobs, wracking her chest. She barely had enough air. She did not hear the soft footfalls coming ever closer. She did not see him as he sat down next to her. She did, however, feel as his arm wrapped around her shoulders. Turning slightly, the girl buried her face in his shoulder. Her friend held her tighter, resting his head in her soft chestnut curls.

The two of them sat that way for what felt like hours; the girl sobbing loudly on the boy’s shoulder, the boy holding her quietly, steadfastly. Finally, the girl released her last tear. She looked up at the boy, eyes red from crying, cheeks flushed. He turned to her, a small crooked smile on his lips. To the girl’s surprise, tears were slipping down his face as well. “Why are you crying?” she asked softly, voice cracking. The boy considered the question for a second.

“I am crying because you are crying,” he replied truthfully as yet another tear trickled down his handsome face. His smile was still there, unwavering.

The girl stared at him with wide eyes. He stared back at her. A chill like an electric current flowed through both of them. The air around them tingled with static. Slowly, as if pulled by some invisible force, the two teenagers moved closer. Their faces were within a hair’s breath of each other’s. “Why me?” she whispered. “Why did you choose me?” Her eyes darted back and forth, looking for an answer written on his face. “You are the only one who’s real. The only one out of all those girls who knows what it means to truly love someone. Even though he broke your heart, you just keep going. I like that. I think… I think I may even love that.”

His eyes gleamed with a passion long suppressed. “I think I may love you.” His sweet breath lingered on her lips. The girl’s heart began to beat frantically, as if trying to keep up with her rapidly changing emotions. “I think I may love you too,” she admitted.

Without meaning to, the girl shut her eyes. The two leaned even closer, closing the gap between them. His soft lips pressed against hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and his arms coiled around her waist. The kiss deepened.

Gently, they pulled apart. Both were smiling softly. “Thank you,” the girl said under her breath, so quiet that the boy sitting right next to her wasn’t sure he had heard her at first.

“For what?” She stared deeply into his eyes. He held her gaze, reciprocating the intensity. “For giving me a reason to live again. For saving me from falling.”

“Anytime. Thank you, too. Thanks for letting me in. Thanks for not pushing me away.”

At the same time, the two teenagers said, “I love you,” sealing their fate.

The two leaned in closer, their foreheads, then lips, pressing against the other’s.

love,Haley BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

Who owns my heart? Is it love or is it art?
--Miley Cyrus, "Who Owns My Heart"

The writing is phenomenal! The descriptions are wonderful and I enjoy reading your stories. The only thing is that this is very cliche. I know, I know. It's in this category of romantic and usually I really love the romantic things that make you see the hope in finding that one.. But this was too... Sweet? For me... Does that make sense? Hahah, but the descriptions were just amazing!!

Alibee SILVER said...
Alibee SILVER, Berkeley, California

"Nothing is impossible with the grace of God."

that was so cute! Omg! If only that would happen all the time in real life. that was so beautiful.

MyLifeAsCupid BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin

"How could an Alice girl like me,
Love a Hatter as mad as you?"

omg! that was so sweet. i wish my crush did that to me when i was in my room, depressed, crying, and almost about to run away. gosh that was intense lol i like the way the boy cares for her so much that he would cry with her and for her. i also liked the idea of they chacters not having names it then kind of could relate to the readers life and the reader could put their own names into the place of the charcter's. great story, absolutly loved it

Lindsey_O GOLD said...

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you! :D

justplainme said...
wow. deep. romantic yet not cheesy nor corny. keep writing!

StarsMoon said...
StarsMoon, Lehi, Utah
:D haha You're welcome(: glad i could help!!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:26 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

In a year and 16 days so much has happened with this story.

2, 923 people have read this.

79 people have posted comments.

138 people have rated it.

SEVEN TIMES this article was rated #1 and featured on the homepages. 

And it is all thanks to YOU, the readers!!  

I cant even begin to describe how much this means to me!!! Really I feel like the luckiest girl alive right now to have such great support from all of you. Each comment makes me feel so happy! And even though it has taken me forever, I've finally been able to personally thank each and every one of you for commenting, reading, and rating.

When I wrote this story I was in 7th grade. The day I wrote this had been truely one of the worst days I could've had. There were many personal conflicts going on--and on top of that my phone, which i had STUPIDLY forgotten to turn off that morning, went off in the middle of a grade wide assembly. Fun, right? But that day, one of my guy friends had made me feel a lot better about myself because he and my other friend were trying to make me laugh and smile, even though I was crying (hey it was a hard day!). When I got home, I wrote this story because writing always makes me feel better and I wanted to get this feeling of being comforted down before I lost it. It started out as a simple story, with no intention of going anywhere other than a folder somewhere deep in the recesses of my hard drive.

Never did I imagine my one printed page would escalate to this degree. Sure, it wasn't published in the print magizine, but I still find this piece to be one of my biggest accomplishments, and that is all thanks to you.

So thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for supporting me and my writing. You are all amazing! :D

~Lindsey O'Connell

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:08 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

:Dhank you!!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:07 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

:D awww thank you so so much!!! And I definately will!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:06 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

XDD

*goes off and has a happiness attack*

Thank you!!!!! XDDD hhaha glad you liked it!! Means a lot, I can tell you that!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:04 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you! :)

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:03 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you soo much!!! :DDD That means a lot!!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:02 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

XD Thank you!!!!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:59 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you so much!!! Glad you like it!!!!! :DDDD

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:49 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Oh thank you!! Both of you!! hahaha XD But I think I'm just going to leave this as is for now! :D

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:47 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you!!!!!! :D

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:46 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

*insane over-excitement* ahh!!!! thank you so much!!!!!!!! I'm soooo glad you liked it and that my writing impacted you so much!!!! XDDDD

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:44 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

XDDD oh thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:39 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you! Glad you liked the story! And I hope everything works out between you and your friend!

Lindsey_O GOLD said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 9:37 am

Words slide off the lead,
creating permanent marks;
writer's secret code.
~Lindsey O'Connell

Thank you!!!!! :D I loved writing his character--it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! XD hahha