Passing notes | Teen Ink

Passing notes

By StartlingThing GOLD, Gresham, Oregon
StartlingThing GOLD, Gresham, Oregon

"The difference between the right word and the right word is like the difference between lightening bug and lightening" -Mark Twain

The hallways seemed more stuffy and crowded then usual. I tried to block out the whispers that looked like ten pounds in the air and just hung there. I gripped my books tighter in my fingers, making them bright red against the black cover. "did you hear?" someone whispered loudly to the girl who had her back to me and eyes fixed on the lock of the locker. I picked up my pace, it made my legs want to strain against it but I ignored it. The thick wool hat that perched on my head, itched and made my pink hair stand out even more.
I stared at the clock thru out first period, that only seemed to make the minutes tic by more tediously. I fixed my eyes to my cornel notes. x=123+(123-12433-112). I'd given up on the problem and started folding and refolding a piece of thick paper.
***
Her pink hair slithered out from behind her pale ear. I wanted so badly to tuck it back and feel how silky it was. But I know that if I did that I would expose that I had a crush on my best friend. "So..." I plunked my binder on the empty desk that was positioned in front of hers, and swung around just catching her bringing her hand back to that paper she kept folding. Her pink strand had disappeared. "hows your day?" I thought about that "Er...I mean...morning? I felt my face crumple into a frown. She smiled the tinniest. Home run! I yelled in my head. She sighed and I couldn't help myself. I breathed in through my mouth. It tasted minty, it was her signature type of gum. Rain. "swell, if you call having people stare at you when you walk down the hall swell anyway," Her english accent was more heavier when she was sad. I stared at her and she looked up. It took a minute but she burst out laughing, "OK that definitely does not count," her laughter bubbled up again "you did that intentionally," I looked around at the bare room, people were looking I turned back and covered her mouth "Shh! Shh! If you dont want people staring then shh!, I chuckled and she closed her open mouth, it tickled my hand.
***
His hand tasted like salt and chocolate."OK," I said against the rough skin. He removed it, he always cheered me up when I was sad. I sighed again and I listened for him breathe through his mouth, I bet he could taste my gum. I bent forward next to his ear "I know who you like," I whispered into it. "Who?" he whispered back. I idled there a second pulling my bag up onto my right shoulder for my hasty escape. I timed it just right "just know, I know, and I'm watching," the bell rung and I swiftly bolted from the class.
***
"Just know, I know and I'm watching," she slyly whispered in my ear. It gave me goose bumps how she said it. Then her body heat was gone and only the faint smell of mint hung in the air.
***
I left the note in locker 116. His locker. After that I felt like I was light as a feather. He would read it and slip it into mine after.
***
A piece of paper slipped from the brackets of my locker. I opened it. Inside was her cursive. "do you like me? check yes or no. Slip it back into my locker when your finished," I caught her pink head out of the corner of my eye.
***
My paper fluttered down onto my bottom shelf. It was the paper. I stared and closed the door. There the letter would sit until the end of the day.
***
Has she read it yet? I wondered at the end of the day. Knowing her she probably will keep it in her locker until the end of the day.
***
I grabbed the note and took a breath. No more waiting. And I opened it. I felt my breath leave my lungs.

BlueJeanBaby SILVER, Greenville, Illinois

"When they give you ruled paper,write the other way."
-Juan Ramon Jimenez

I thought this was so adorable and sweet. So innocent and detailed. I agree with musicismypaintbrush, you definately have potential. Great job.

StartlingThing GOLD, Gresham, Oregon

Thank You! ^_^

monstrosity BRONZE, Hood River, Oregon

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

I didn't think it was confusing at all! It was a very cute story and you have great potential as a writer!

literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

it was really good, but confusing in some parts. especially the dialogue

StartlingThing GOLD, Gresham, Oregon

yea kinda..

rainkissed BRONZE, Brampton, Other

"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E Cummings

It's cute. I liked it. At first though I though I thought it would be about something bad that happened or like a rumour flying around... but that were whispering about her hair I guess??

-Kal- GOLD said...
-Kal- GOLD, Carthage, North Carolina

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and recieves the impossible"
-Anonymous

that was good, but slightly confusing. i had to re-read it in order to make sense of the character shifts, but other than tha i liked it