True Rose | Teen Ink

True Rose

By Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee
Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

-you have many to learn but nothing to lose.
-the hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else...
-good girls are bad girls that dont get caught.

Rosalie Rainheart was a 17 year old girl, who was sitting in one of the hardest seats that existed in Skylark High school. Who was Rosalie Rainheart? Me. It’s 4th period Study Hall and I’m copying my friend Bella’s English homework. Who cares if I never do my homework? I have a living dictionary to trust on. Too bad I wasn’t the one that was born with natural intelligence. I’m starving, and I can’t wait for the bell to ring.

On October 3rd, I was staring out the window, watching the football team practice in the drizzling rain, when the door of the classroom suddenly opened. The silent room turned into a buzz, and when I saw what came through that door, I forgot to breathe. I saw the most handsome boy I had ever seen before in my life. I stared at him, probably with my mouth stupidly gaped opened, while he introduced himself to the class. His name was Logan Bailey, and he was from California. He looked like a super star, and from the look of his eyes, he was probably a super athlete too. You could practically see his muscles through his shirt. His hair was the perfect shade of blond. His skin was tanned and his clothes were awesome. His white teeth were in perfect place, and they shined when he smiled. He was too good to be true. My eyes were already locked on him. A lot of the other girls where staring at him as well. I tried to ignore them and concentrated on thinking of how to earn this dream boy.
I on the other hand, am an average 17 year old girl. I have brown, wavy hair and my eyes a grayish blue. I have no luck in boys, and I trust on makeup for my beauty. This guy was too good for me. He would take me as a joke.
I sat there, just praying that this was true and that the amazingly beautiful guy wasn’t a dream. I was also hoping that Mr. Beautiful couldn’t hear the sound of the abnormal speed of my heartbeat.

I had finished my homework, so I decided to daydream about Logan. I feel asleep shortly after my daydreaming started, and I woke up the bell was ringing.
Everyone around me was getting up, and I got up to rush to be the first in the lunch line; but a smooth, large hand grabbed my arm. It didn’t hurt, but it startled me. I turned around, and saw the most beautiful smile in the world, smiling at me.
“Can I join you for lunch, or do you always eat with your other girl friends?”
My heart skipped a beat.
“I always eat alone anyway. You can come with me.”
Oh, well. I just lied to him, and I was going to have to ditch my friends today. How could I say no to the twinkle of his gorgeous amber eyes? I sent texts to my friends so that they would be aware of my absence at our table. Then Logan and I rushed on to catch up with the crowd.

By the time we reached the cafeteria, there was a long line. I didn’t know what to talk about. I was relieved when he started our conversation casually.
“Can I call you Rosalie?”
“Sure, I’ll call you Logan. Where did you say you’re from?”
“I’m from California, by the beach. That’s why I’m so tanned. I surf.” That explained his perfect tan, and his muscular body. He earned it.
“Wow. Why did you move to Tennessee? There’s no beach around here.”
“My dad was transferred. Plus, I play football too. You can play football anywhere.”
“Oh. Too bad. I’ve never gone to California before. Do you have a girlfriend?” That was what I really wanted to ask!!
“Nope. I don’t have any luck with girls. They never seem to care. Not even the cheerleaders.”
WHAT?! I thought. Who could ignore this stunning model face?? We sat at the table, talking about random things, and I managed to get his cell phone number and email. Lunch time was soon over, and we headed to our classrooms. The only class we had together was study hall. I had hated study hall, but from this day I decided to love study hall from the bottom of my heart. It was the most important class I had through the week. It was the only class I had with Mr. Beautiful.

I was walking towards the parking lot, where I parked my car, when I saw a flier on the bulletin board. It said: Cheerleading tryouts are on Friday. All cheerleaders are due to the gym at 4:30. Then an idea popped in my head. I would become a cheerleader. That would impress Logan, and plus, I would be able to watch him all the time. Tomorrow was Friday. I would just have to give what I had.

At the cheerleading tryouts, I saw Belle. Belle was my best friend for years. We live in the same neighborhood, and we share every secret we have. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Cooper, were the coolest people in the world. They study fashion, and Belle has clothes from all over the world. They are what rich people call rich. Belle doesn’t act snobby, though. She let me wear her Chanel party dress last year at the spring dance. She went with Mark, and I went with Jay. Mark and Jay are identical twins. It was such a funny sight. The pictures we took were hilarious. Belle and I tell each other everything, and we have sleepovers every other weekend. We could be sisters. But we looked nothing alike. Belle’s striking features made her look like a model. Her clothes were gorgeous, and she was always a member of the popular squad. But right now, she looked somewhat sad and annoyed. She was stomping her foot softly like she couldn’t wait any longer. She was glaring at the rest of the cheerleaders, and hissed at the girl who came to talk to her. If she had her sunglasses on, she would look scary enough for everyone to scatter out of the gym. What was it with Belle today? She was mad at somebody. I had never seen sweet Belle like this before.
Anyway, why hadn’t she told me that she was going to try out too? Something was wrong with Belle. This is when someone wants to talk to their best friend. I went over to talk to her.
“Hey, is everything okay between us? You could of told me you were gonna tryout too.”
She ignored my comment and said, “Do you know anything about that new boy? I think his name was Logan Bailey or something. I think he’s incredibly cute. He’s joining the football team. I’m going to try cheerleading so I can be with him.”
“Umm... Belle, I don’t think you should think that way of him. I don’t think that he’s good for you. Maybe you could check out that new guy in the basketball team?”
“Uh-huh”

This is bad. I mean, really bad. I couldn’t believe that this was happening between us. I couldn’t tell her that I felt the same way. I kept my mouth shut through the rest of the tryouts.

I could see clearly that Belle was better at cheerleading than me. At the end, Mrs. Abby announced the chosen cheerleaders… Amy Loosen, Jennifer Calms, Cassie Navy, Samantha Brooke, Belle Cooper, Lucy Morgan, Danielle Lane, and Rosalie Rainheart. I couldn’t believe it! I made the team!! I was really happy, and I called Logan immediately after I jumped into my car. But he didn’t pick up. I wondered why. My happy mood disappeared into clouds.

What was he doing? Was he talking to some other girl? Or did he just ignore my call? Was he with Belle?

Questions rumbled through my head, as I drove myself home.

On the way home, I thought about Belle. She had been my best friend for years. I didn’t think we would be the ones to face problems like this. I had to forget Logan. This one was for Belle. I called Logan again, and this time he picked up. He said he was waiting for my call. I told him that I had made the cheerleading squad, and I told him that I would never call him again. I tried to explain, but the world went upside down, and I fell asleep, still on the phone with Logan. When I woke up, I was surprised to see my cell phone still on. I couldn’t believe the numbers on the screen. Why hadn’t he hung up? I was furious. How much was this call going to cost me? But then, I heard a voice from the other end.
“Hello? Are you awake now?
The soft voice melted my anger.
He was awake the whole night waiting for me to speak?! This was totally...too much.
“Yeah. I am” I answered, weakly.
“You were talking a lot last night. You were mumbling my name. a lot.”
That was so embarrassing to hear.
I didn’t answer, but he continued to talk.
“Your friend Belle called me yesterday. She said she was in cheerleading as well. She called me just after the names were announced. That’s why he didn’t take my phone call. And she sort of asked me out. I said no.”
“Why? I mean, it’s none of my business, but I wanna know.” I was happy and sad at the same time.
“Because I like you.”
I panicked. This was something that I never knew would happen. Logan’s gorgeous face and Belle’s crying face flashed through my mind a million times.
After an awkward pause, I quickly said, “Can I talk to you at school? I’m in a hurry now. Bye.”
I hung up, and sighed. There was no way he believed that. It was only 5 in the morning.
I sank down onto the sofa, and thought. And thought. And thought.
At school, I had my mind set up. I was terrible. But I was doing what I wanted. I was going to be a beautiful rose to Logan, and a prickly thorn to Belle. It was what I decided. I couldn’t give up this once in a lifetime chance.
I was walking big confident steps with Logan. Everyone saw me as “The handsome guy’s beautiful girlfriend”. He led me through the rest of high school. I fell a few times, though. But every time it was Belle that helped me up and pushed my forward again. Did I really make the right choice? It was late already. I was galloping into the world of Logan, leaving my best friend who earned the rose, instead of the thorn.

AnnaNana PLATINUM, Corinth, Mississippi

Live the way you die- All of a sudden: That's the way to go.

yep!!! and your welcome i would really like if you would check out some of my stuff

Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

thank you so much for the comment!

really? that is really nice to hear..

AnnaNana PLATINUM, Corinth, Mississippi

wow this id really good!! keep writing btw i get an email everytime you publish something your just that good

Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

Please comment!