The Modern Eros | Teen Ink

The Modern Eros

By Katuria:D GOLD, Miami, Florida
Katuria:D GOLD, Miami, Florida

It was an ordinary day, nothing new, nothing exciting. The same old sh***y day that seemed to replay over and over no matter how many times the sun went through its cycle. Thank god it was Friday. Like always in fifth period history, I desperately tried to keep my eyes open. The soporific voice of my teacher was no help, neither where the lights that had been dimmed down due to his “migraines”.

Failing epically, but needing to stay awake I decided to find one thing and just stare. The concentration always helped my eyes stay open, even if I wasn’t really seeing anything. I chose the back of his head.

Now you must understand that ‘he’ is referring to the one person I wanted more then anyone in the world: Mike Zelecker. Weird last name huh? It was Russian. So hot. Now of course I was pretty sure he had no idea my name was Helen, and even less that my last name was Gray. Heck I was pretty d*** sure he didn’t even know I existed. Either way I knew who he was.

I looked up and stared at his Black straight hair. It was well kept, washed and shiny, and it went down to the start of his neck. In the front it was cut and styled to the side like bangs. If only my hair looked that nice. Just as I thought it, Mike turned around.

Instantly I felt my cheeks burn and I knew my face had turned red as a tomato. Would he know I was staring? Would he get freaked out? Oh man I would’ve so chosen falling asleep over this. Then suddenly, with relief and sadness, I realized he wasn’t looking at me. He was looking at the girl next to me.

Brittany. The popular, loved, flirty, beautiful Brittany. The girl Mike had been flirting with that week. I felt stupid and embarrassed, only there was no one to notice my embarrassment. Or so I thought. I didn’t realize that I was still staring at him, but Brittany did.

“Jee-suhs Helen. We all know you’re a freak but must you stair at Mike like he’s a piece of meat?”

Snapped out of my trance I turned to her, turning even redder. From some deep crevice in my body I will probably never locate again, I mustered up the courage to reply.

“My bad Brittany. I forgot that was your job.”
Almost as if on cue, the bell rang. Brittany rolled her eyes, and I began to put all my things away. I expected her to make some sort of comment but she just walked out of the classroom. I guess I just got lucky. I started to make my way to the door when I heard my name being called.

“Hey Helen you left this.”

I turned and Mike was facing my desk with my art journal open in hand. My eyes opened wide and I rushed over.

“Um thanks I’ll be taking that back now.” I nervously reached out my hand but he shot it down and flipped the page. I made a sort of squeal of protest accidentally and he looked up smiling.

“Alright, I wont impose on your personal belongings anymore. They’re really good though. You’ve got some talent.” He smiled and walked towards the door. We both left the classroom to see Brittany waiting for him. He sped up and when he was about half way to her he spun around. I was headed towards the other exit.

“And Helen!” I turned slowly. “I don’t care if you stare.” he turned again and walked out with Brittany.

When I got to my car I realized that Brittany’s was parked in front of mine. I looked. There she was. I guess my luck had worn out. How the hell did she even get there so fast? Freaky.

“Helen. My dear, dear Helen.” I moved to grab the door handle, but she was faster then me again. “Now I care about your feelings Helen, and I see the little school girl crush you have on Mike. I find it rather cute actually, but I don’t want to see you get hurt.” Suddenly he face went from polite to evil. “And if you pursue this little, experiment, of yours you will get hurt.” Pause. Smile. “You can leave now.”

I watched her turn around, get into her car and pull out of the parking lot with a little wave out the window. Interesting. Brittany saw me as a threat. It didn’t phase me. I got into my car and left.

Now my house is pretty interesting, my backyard consists if miles and miles (that’s an exaggeration) of forest and the occasional neighbor. I found it rather peaceful actually. It was great for taking little mind clearing walks. I needed one of those today. I grabbed my Ipod and set off on my usual route down to the little path that my father had cleared for me when I was little, but I was feeling adventurous and decided to venture off.

I walked and walked. Never looking back once. This probably wasn’t the smartest idea for two reasons. One I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going, so I didn’t know the way back, and two because I was too busy with my music I didn’t notice those cursed cumulonimbus clouds. A storm was coming. Then it started to rain. Finally I looked up. It was going to get much worse before it got better. I needed to find shelter.

By the time I found the small cave it was pouring. I was completely drenched and miserable. The cave was pretty spacious. It was odd though, you walked in and expected it to be straight, but it actually curved to the right. This however, meant that there was no light in this area. I walked to the right and stood still, waiting for the rain to stop.

Suddenly I heard footsteps and my breathing stopped. I waited motionless. Something reached out and touched my heart, I panicked and went to move away. Because the floor was slippery I lost my step and hit my head against a rock. I passed out.

The dream was weird. I was in the cave still, but it was different. Everything was tinted pink. Then I saw I wasn’t alone. There was a guy. He was my age, tall and blonde. He was gorgeous.

“Hello Helen. This may seem like a dream to you, but it is very much real. This is the only way I can speak with you; through your mind.” The boy stopped and smiled as if I was an old friend.

“Um- uh, fo-forgive me but, who are you?” He chuckled.

“No, forgive me. I am Eros.” He cordially bowed, and then shook my hand.

“Eros? Like from Greek mythology?” I couldn’t believe this at all.

“Mythology? You call me a myth? I’m standing here aren’t I? Well in your mind anyway.”

“Why can I only see you through my mind though?”

“I am what you would call a Supernatural Being. Kind of like an angel. If I where to appear to you in my true form you would not survive, so instead I let your mind decide the most appropriate form for me. In this case what better then a good looking teenage boy?” Eros did a three sixty turn and smiled again, I still didn’t understand why he was here.

“Why are you here? Aren’t you like Cupid? Shouldn’t you be matching people up?”

“I came to offer you a gift.” My eyes went huge. Here I was, an ordinary girl and I was suddenly being offered a gift from a goddess’ son. Bizarre.

“Why me I’m just an ordinary girl.”

“Helen, I do my job well, I sense a very large capacity for love and purity in you. I like you. So I present you with this gift,” Eros held up a beautiful cylindrical vile dotted with a small diamond flower, held by a long chain, “You will know how to use it.” With that he twisted the cap, a puff of magnificent red power flowed into his hand, he put his mouth to his hand, and blew the powder over my eyes.

I got the idea for this from a friend of mine. I have a necklace similar to the one described and one day she goes "It would be awesome if you had some sort of love drink in here." Then it just clicked.

emily23 BRONZE said...
emily23 BRONZE, Solon, Maine

Every story has an end, but in life every end is just a new beginning.

u should write a second part it was quite interesting

Amanda Fox BRONZE, Naples, Florida
AMAZING!!!!!!!! This is better than Stephenie Meyer! Twilight has got nothing on you! :)

contrygurl BRONZE, Sanbernardino, California

to love and to be loved is lifes greatest joy

I second that wow this is so interesting!!

KonyaB!!! GOLD said...
KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
I like this, keep it coming, you've got your first reader!