It Was Fate | Teen Ink

It Was Fate

January 10, 2010
By AshleyKaraline SILVER, Moultrie, Georgia
AshleyKaraline SILVER, Moultrie, Georgia
8 articles 6 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
What's the point of living if you're not going to live life?


I lay in my bed. It was late. Nine o’clock. My mother was sleeping. Everything was unconscious, but me. I thought about Tyler. I thought how perfect he looked to today. How lonely he looked in Wal-Mart two hours an a half ago. His light brown hair showered over his eyes, looking for a CD. But now, I have no idea where he is. I became tense because he has no idea of who I am, but I’m in love with him. Sure he knows that I exist, but what good is that? The cold winter air sprouted around me in my room. I wore sweat pants and a cami top that night. I walked slowly out of my bedroom, thinking of nothing, but Tyler. I walked out of the front door, down the steps, and into the driveway. I glanced back at the house twice. My heart was calm and my feet were cold. I was bare footed, but didn’t know it. The wind blew softly. I took a shortcut to my backyard and cut across my backyard neighbor’s yard.
The leaves on the ground were glinting from the streetlight. Before I knew it, I was on the street behind my house. The street was dark and quiet, but that didn’t fool me. I knew someone had to be up. This was weird though and this isn’t my normal behavior. I don’t sneak out and if I did, I would be nervous and would probably turn around right now.
I wondered why my feet were so cold and where I was going. I felt like I should take a left up the street. I passed two houses, but stopped at the third. Something about this house was peculiarly obvious, but I didn’t know what it was. I stepped onto their lawn, padded to the front door. It was cracked open. Without hesitation, I walked in, calm as ever. In the front hall, there was the stair case. The hall was dark, but I could see light emerging from both doorways to my left and right. I walked up the stairs slowly as if I were in my own house. I heard voices, a television, and dishes rattling coming from downstairs. At the top of the stairs, I saw a door with pieces of magazine paper on it. I knew there were other doors, but I didn’t see them, because I didn’t look. I opened the door and shut it behind me. I heard water running from the bathroom inside the room. I automatically began to panic because as reality dawned on me, I knew whose room I was in. It was Tyler’s. He was in his bathroom.

I began to look around, trying to keep myself calm. But it didn’t occur to me to leave. His room was really dirty, like mine. He had a lot of CD’s, like me. He had clothes spilling out of his closet, like me. I spotted the jacket he wears during this cold weather. I smelled it, dying to know what he smells like. It smelt handsome, just how I imagined. I realized that I’m freezing and slipped it on. I sat on his bed. My heart was still racing. I heard the water turn off and a few minutes later, the door opened. I recognized the smell that emerged into the room along with light fog. It was Irish Spring soap.

Tyler walked in, hair wet, sweat pants only. His dark eyes dawned on me sitting on his bed, me wearing his jacket, then me sitting on his bed again. He walked to the door and locked it. He took a deep breath then sat on the bed beside me. He didn’t yell. He didn’t question my being there. He didn’t say a word. He looked down at me, his face close. He smiled crookedly. If my heart beat any harder, it would explode. But I did calm down a little. He took my hand. I smiled back and looked down. It was fate that kept me calm, that guided me here, that crack their front door open, that made my mom fall asleep early. It is fate. Tyler and I.


The author's comments:
It was inspired by a dream I had. The message is that if it's meant to be, it will happen.