The Reading Princess | Teen Ink

The Reading Princess

February 4, 2010
By booklover618 GOLD, Harlingen, Texas
booklover618 GOLD, Harlingen, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Once upon a time, faraway in a world known to very little was a princess. She loved to read and take walks for hours on end. One day however, she walked farther than she had ever been before. She came upon a forgotten house surrounded by ancient trees. Not in the least bit worried of being caught, she walked up to one of the front windows and peeped inside. Oh what things she saw! Books upon books sat on shelves which covered all the walls. Big comfy chairs sat in a circle before a giant fireplace. Never had the princess seen such a wonderful place to read away the day. Carefully, she opened the door. She strode over to one of the shelves and was fascinated to see the names of authors she had adored from childhood up. Picking one up, she proceeded to one of the big, comfy chairs. The moment she sat down, the fireplace roared to life and the room became immensely cozy. The princess was soon absorbed in her book and did not notice the hours fly by. Day after day she stayed there reading away her life not realizing the frenzy she had caused back home. Everyone from her kingdom was searching high and low for their beloved princess, but she was no where to be found. One brave young man made it his life’s goal to find the beautiful princess and win her heart. He searched where no one else had searched; he looked where none had ever looked before. On the last day, he had almost given up all hope, but then he saw it. The old abandoned house which the princess had found now looked like a mansion. Flowers of all kinds of beauty bloomed about it. The young man walked up to one of the front windows and peeped in. Oh what things he saw! A beautiful young girl sat reading a book before a roaring fire. Her long auburn hair flowed down her neck in beautiful waves. Her cheeks were a glow from the warmth of the fire. Her eyes sparkled at the words on the page of her book. The young man knew this was his princess. He carefully opened the door. He strode over to the chair. He called out her name. The princess, finally free from her worded chamber, looked up. Their eyes met and the rest is now written in the pages of love’s history.


The author's comments:
I wrote for a friend when she was having a bad day. She's the inspiration the princess.