Jeremy | Teen Ink

Jeremy

By superallie1995 GOLD, New York City, New York
superallie1995 GOLD, New York City, New York

"Go out on a limb..isn't that where the ripest fruit is?"

It was a horrid night as the wind blew with the rain and the blinding clouds hid the shadows. Life, as we knew it was going to end. My last words would go to Jeremy, my love. I had rehearsed my words in the mirror before the storm would shatter our houses. “Jeremy, you’re voice makes me sing, you’re face makes me feel warm and I can’t help but want to hold your hand and run away with you.” I melted into tears as I folded the letter into my pocket. What if he wouldn’t get the letter? What if he didn’t even like the letter? What would I do then? Crawl into the innocent mattress and sleep coldly during the night? I slipped the card into my coat and ran down the raggedy stairway. The storm was blinding and the paper was getting soggy but I wouldn’t give up, for Jeremy lived just 12 houses away. I wiped my feet on his carpet and rang the doorbell. “Oh, please Jeremy! Open up!”
“I’ll get it!” A lady voice yelled. As the door swung open I saw an old woman dressed in a brown peasant shirt and blue jeans. She did not look very pleased to see me.
“Is Jeremy there?” I asked shyly.
“He’s with a young lady but I’ll go see what he’s up to,” she said grouchily.
That was the moment when my stomach churned into rapid circles. It almost felt like I was a washing machine, going around and around dizzily. A young lady?! This couldn’t be. I couldn’t be alone, walking alone, crying alone, breathing-
“Amelia?” Jeremy had interrupted my thoughts with his soft loving gaze, which I always adored.
“Jeremy, I- I need to talk to you about something,” I shivered.
“Sure thing Amelia, but come inside first! It’s freezing!”
I walked indoors soaking from head to toe with the water from the outside and the water from the inside of my heart.
Jeremy gave me a towel, set me down on a chair, and told me he’d be right back. He was probably going to tell his new girlfriend that he was going to take care of something. He was going to tell someone that they had to leave so he could be together with his new fiancé. I just couldn’t bear the thoughts. Would it be wrong of me to peek? I quietly rose from the chair and took discreet steps toward the second room. I didn’t find a girl in there but I was shocked to see Jeremy in his underwear, turned around. He looked at me and I looked at him. My face blushed to red roses and I walked outside. I forgot to leave the letter with him.
As I was halfway down the street, Jeremy chased after me, fully dressed like nothing mortifying had occurred. “Amelia, please stay inside. It’s really rough out here.” He began to shiver nervously. Dear Jeremiah was right. Trees were falling insanely everywhere and wind flowed in all different directions. I did as he told me and followed him inside. As we reached the warm sanctuary of his house it had occurred to me that I should give him the letter. “Jeremy, I wanted to give you this before we perish.”
“Amelia! That’s a horrible thing to say. We’re going to survive this storm.”
“Just in case we don’t, take this piece of paper.” It was more than just a piece of paper but I did not want to make it clear that I was trying to confess my love for him.
“Jeremy, I heard you were with another girl,” I insanely spat out.
“Yes, I was.” Then Jeremy was quiet for a second. What happened to her? Where did she go? Was I going to flourish his mind with crazy questions?
“Where did the girl go?” I asked.
Jeremy was quiet.
Is she here now?
Jeremy was still quiet.
“Jeremy answer me for pete’s sake!”
Jeremy began to burst into tears hysterically without a warning.
“Amelia! She’s dead.” I gasped in pure horror. I had no clue whether to burst into tears or be thankful that no other girl would steal Jeremy’s heart away from him. I had nothing left to say because my heart had dropped at the same time it was beating.
“Bye Jeremy,” I said glumly, walking to the wooden door.
“Don’t go outside Amelia..the storm,” Jeremy reached for me.
I sat inside with dear Jeremy for a while but I had to get home soon. The trees were rustling harshly against the glass windows and the wind whistled through the walls. I shook with excitement of being next to Jeremy and the thought of what episode just occurred.
“Jeremy?” I piped.
“Yeah,” Jeremy replied.
“Did you love that girl?” I couldn’t believe I just asked that question.
“I don’t know,” Jeremy whispered. “She loved me, I think, so it seemed acceptable to like her too. I don’t think I really loved her.” I was so delighted to hear the news, but I could tell by Jeremy’s face that he truly did love her.
“Do you love me?” I asked, playing with my fingers and staring at the floor.
“Amelia I-“ Then he stopped. The world stopped. The trees shook back and forth and the wind blew stronger. The whistling grew louder and shivers ran down my spine. What Jeremy said didn’t matter. The world had ended.
END

Based on a true event of a storm in NY that occured. Many trees fell and a lot was destroyed.

thank you so much!

alibi SILVER said...
alibi SILVER, Corry, Pennsylvania

"I'm always positive, except when I'm not."

This is amazing!!!  So, so sad, but extremely well-written!!!

Aww thank you it means a lot! <3

on Jun. 9 2010 at 11:56 am
super job,mr muhib.your article is gnna rock the states!!!...@ yea i will be waiting to read more of ur work :)