Music, Love, and Violins | Teen Ink

Music, Love, and Violins

August 12, 2010
By Silence-Is-My-Virtue GOLD, Stansbury Park, Utah
Silence-Is-My-Virtue GOLD, Stansbury Park, Utah
10 articles 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.
Try to figure that out." -- unknown


I walked the streets of New York City in a hurry to get to my rehearsal. My violin was strapped to my back with a piece of thick elastic. The long black coat and warm boots I wore kept me from freezing to death in the dead of winter here in New York as I hurried to the music hall we were to perform in the following night.
I was determined not to be late. I knew could never afford such a mistake to happen because the organization in charge of the orchestra I play for pays me well. They especially do so since I have done so many solo performances in their honor.
The thin layer of snow falling to the sidewalk crunched under my feet as I wandered along the busy streets of New York City and I arrived to the music hall in record time.
“Ah, Jodie Campbell, you are here just in time. Let us begin!” my conductor, Mr. Contrella, hurried me over to my seat in the midst of the 80 other people warming up for our rehearsal. The schedule today was very tight.
I took my seat and made sure my violin was in tune, and then eyed the chair off to the right corner of the stage nervously. Tomorrow night’s performance was in front of about a million people. Not to mention it was televised.
And I was to complete a solo.
I didn’t think I could do this without messing up, but I knew if I concentrated hard enough, I could do this.
The auditorium was perfect for seating so many people, what with its wide open space and echoing stage. I noticed a lone man sitting in the front row, watching us prepare.
He was a handsome man, about the age of twenty three (the same age as me), and had brown hair the exact shade of mine, with gentle green eyes. He held himself up as if in confidence and had an air of rightness to his muscular, perfect body.
I felt a surge of heat and electricity flow through me unexpectedly as he turned his steady gaze on me. I froze, my blue eyes wide with shock.
I could never explain to you just how amazingly happy and nervous this man made me feel.
He smiled at me then and I melted in the spot, doing my best to smile encouragingly back. He chuckled and looked elsewhere as I gathered myself together.
The conductor Mr. Contrella took his place in front of the entire orchestra and led us through our songs, beginning with Mozart’s "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" in Allegro and ending with Tchaikovsky's famous “1812 Overture”. The only thing between these two songs is my solo, and that is going to be practiced separately, after the orchestra is done practicing together.
With the man watching my every move, I ignored him as best I could and continued to move my bow smoothly across the strings of my violin. When I played any kind of music whatsoever, I tended to really get into it. It’s also how I landed a full ride scholarship into Juilliard.
Practice now over, I moved on to my solo, which I had no trouble playing in front of my fellow orchestral performers. The song I played was a part of Bach's Partitia in E. The eighth notes and sixteenth notes flowed much more easily than I could ever remember them doing before and I felt proud when I was finished.
I bowed and took my normal seat back in the midst of the players, now packing up and leaving. Our practices are short because we are professional enough to practice and make better palyers of ourselves.
Packed up, I headed toward the exit when the man from the front row got up to leave too. Before I could get that weird feeling again, I fled the music hall.
*********************************
The girl, I knew her name. She was Jodie Campbell. The Jodie Campbell. She was the one that travels the world performing in honor of the group that supports her orchestra.
She was famous for her solos, one of which I would have the pleasure of hearing tomorrow night in this very music hall.
I saw Jodie sit down and her blue eyes found mine. I tried my best to cover my surprise. She gave me quite a shock, Jodie did. I felt like I was seeing a woman for the very first time the moment I set my eyes on her. Right now. She was everything anyone could ever ask for.
I needed to say something to her.
Watching the rehearsal, I waited impatiently for Jodie’s solo. When she rose to take her place on the right of the stage, I got excited, knowing this was a time I had been wanting for a very long time.
I am no music critic but I love music more than anything. I don’t play an instrument but I have an interest in violins, which is how I came across Jodie. Ever since, I have been obsessed with her amazing solos.
And the funny part was she had no idea just how much I wanted to get to know her, to learn more about her as a person, not just an amazing musician.
I would say something to her as soon as her practice was over.
When her solo was finished, she packed up and headed to the door. I got up to go talk to her and she took one look at me before fleeing as if I would hurt her.
The warmth I had felt the entire time I’d been here faded and I felt lost and lonely.
***********************************
PREFORMANCE NIGHT
I see him, the man I now know as Gabriel Trace. I people searched him and he is no professional critic, just a music loving guy who enjoys travelling the world to find my solos being performed live.
At least, that’s what his bio said.
Flying through the beginning piece, I suddenly felt the nerves wracking my body. I had performed for many prestigious people but not this many regular people. Let alone on TV.
I took my place in the familiar chair and set my bow above my violin, mentally preparing for the piece to begin. Mr. Contrella signaled for me to start and I started. I let the notes flow as normally as they had before and I searched the crowd with darting eyes.
My gaze landed on that same spot on the front row where Gabriel sat and the shock almost messed up my song.
Thank God it was memorized so well I could play it with my eyes closed.
I finished as best I could and received a standing ovation.
Proud, I headed back to my seat and finished with the rest of the orchestra as we did the 1812 piece.
When we were finally done, I headed to the backstage area where Gabriel was waiting for me. I couldn’t escape him this time so I allowed myself to keep my gaze averted from his as I packed away my violin.
“Jodie, you and I both know there’s something weird between us. I could see it in your eyes yesterday.” Gabriel hesitated and I looked up, meeting his bright green eyes with my own blue ones.
“I think so too, but I have no idea what it could possibly be.” I said to him as nonchalantly as I could.
“Well let me ask you something. Do you believe in love at first sight?”
His question sent shivers down my spine. Of course I did. Now. Now that I had seen Gabriel for the first time; the man of my dreams.
As the thoughts spun through my head, I managed a single answer.
“Yes.”
Gabriel smiled and i had a sudden thought.
"How about i teach you to play violin? i hear things like that are a great way to get to know someone." i winked at him and grinned.
Love at first sight had never been so beautiful.


The author's comments:
I love music and also love to write romance stories, so a combination of the two, i found, can create a beautiful story.