Breyson, Is His Name Ch.5 | Teen Ink

Breyson, Is His Name Ch.5

By Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont
Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont

"Embrace imperfection rather than hide your flaws."

A few days after Violet left, my older brother called me. We hadn't spoken in months. Not because we were angry or upset at one another, but just because we were both busy. Me with college and him with whatever he was doing.

Michael was Twenty-one. Only two and a half years older than me. I had always known since Middle School what I wanted to do with my life. Michael on the other hand, had a little trouble with that.

"So I've been thinking about coming to visit you," he said once we had gone over the hellos and how are yous.

"Yeah. That'd be great. You can meet Breyson." I smiled to myself, knowing Michael would not be happy with me being alone with a boy for a whole summer.

"Who?"

"Breyson. He's my boyfriend," I sort of mumbled.

"Your boyfriend," he repeated. "Hes living there with you."

"Mhm."

He sighed dramatically. "I'll be there in about four hours."

"Four hours? Where are you?"

"Tennessee."

"Why?"

"I'll explain later," he said, clearly annoyed. "I'll see you soon."

"Alright. Love you."

"Love you too."

I don't know why, but I wanted to impress Michael. We hadn't seen eachother in almost a year and I wanted to show him that I've grown up. Especially since hes not happy with me having a boyfriend, but hello, I'm nineteen. I've always been a little girl in his eyes, and I want him to realize that I'm not. I'm an adult.

I took a shower, put my makeup on, and got dressed. An hour later, I saw Michael's Jeep pull into the driveway.

I smiled when he spotted me, then ran over to hug him.

"I missed you," I whinned.

"Me too," he kissed me on the cheek as we ended the hug.

"Wheres the boyfriend."

"Hes inside," I said as I looped my arm through his and led him to the beach. "Lets take a walk."

On our walk, I tried keeping pleasent conversation, avoiding any talk about Breyson, but, Breyson seemed to be exactly what Michael wanted to discuss.

"Alli, why'd you bring him here?"

"Because hes my best friend. I didn't want to come alone."

"Best friend or boyfriend?" he asked.

"Both." I paused. "We met at the beginning of the year, been best friends ever since, and a few days after we got here, we started ... I don't know, dating, I guess."

He nodded slowly. "How old is he?"

I turned my head to roll my eyes so he wouldn't see. "Nineteen. Same as me."

"Are you two ... serious?"

"Michael. Stop. Really. I'm an adult. I don't need you being like this. Ask mom and dad, they've met him. They love him. Hes a good guy. He treats me well. Better than anyone I've been with."

"Because you've been with so many people," he said sarcastically.

"You know what, I don't need this. This is the first time you've seen me in a year and all you want to do is argue about this. Why'd you even come see me? Did you actually miss me? I'm guessing no." I started walking towards the house, slaming the door with Michael ten steps behind.

I've always gotten emotional over small stupid stuff. Like this.

I ran up the stairs as fast as I could, sobbing. Breyson heard me, and came out of his bedroom only to follow me into my room.

"Hey, what happened?" He held me.

I didn't answer, just cried.

A few minutes later, Breyson left me alone. He didn't say where he as going or what he was going to do. But if he had to leave me to do whatever it was, it meant something.

"What'd you do to her?" There was concern in Breysons voice.

"You're Breyson, I'm guessing," was all Michael said.

"Yeah. Thats me. And you're Michael. Now what'd you say to her?"

"More like what'd she say to me."

No one spoke for a moment.

"I just wanted to know the facts about you." Michael continued.

"Me?"

He nodded. "I simply asked how old you were, why she brought you here, then, if you two were serious. Thats when she flipped on me."

"What'd she say?"

"That she wasn't a kid anymore. Pretty much that I didn't have to worry. That you treated her well, which better be true."

"It is." Breyson looked up the stairs to my bedroom door, which was wide open. "I love her more than anything in the world." He looked back at Michael. "I understand that you're protective of her, maybe a bit too protective, but you don't have to worry, at least not this much. Shes in good hands. I promise you."

Michael nodded and turned towards the door, just looking at it for a moment before proceeding to open it and leave.

A moment later I slowly and silently made my way down the stairs. When Breyson saw me, he walked over and took my hand.

"Where is he?" I whispered.

"I'm not sure. He might be outside," he said opening the door, only to see Michael standing in the water, watching the seagulls.

*** ***

Michael and I weren't the closest we've ever been for the week he stayed with us. We actually barely spoke besides when Breyson would force us to comunicate, which was a rare occasion.

Every day Breyson and I still went for our nightly walk on the beach, not caring if he was watching us, and we knew he was.

And when it was time for Michael to finally leave to head back to Tennessee, which I never found out the story behind why he was there in the first place, I was both relieved and disappointed. Dissapointed becaue at first I was excited to see my big brother, get some bonding time in. But, a lot has changed since I last saw him. He changed. He feels like a stranger now. Like I never knew him at all. Now that I think of it, I don't even know his favorite color anymore.

"Bye, Alli." Michael reached out to hug me.

I stood in place until Breyson gave me a nudge.

After we hugged, he looked at me with sincere eyes and said, "I'm sorry."

I wasn't going to back down. I closed my eyes and slowly shook my head before saying in a soft tone, "You've changed. You're not ... you. Not the you you used to be. We may be siblings, but you are not my brother. Not anymore." I turned away, and headed for the beach, needing to look at my waves, needing to feel the sand between my toes, needing to be at peace.