All About Us. | Teen Ink

All About Us.

October 24, 2011
By smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
smilesunshine PLATINUM, Puyallup, Washington
34 articles 4 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you're lucky enough to be different from everyone else, don't change to be the same." ~Taylor Swift


I got a sip of my water as we took a short break from dancing. I had forgotten what a workout it could be. As I walked back to Alex, a new song came on the playlist. “Take my hand, I’ll teach you to dance. Would you let me lead? You can step on my feet?” I held out my hand to Alex, smiled big, with a pinch of mischievousness, and we began to dance. I quietly hummed the female singer’s part as Alex took the male singer’s part.


Alex spun me around, and then would bring me in close. We danced together as if we had been dance partners for years on end.


I spun into Alex’s arms and he swiftly grabbed my waist, lifting me up high above his head, like a move from Dirty Dancing. He gently put me back on my feet. My long bangs fell in my face, he pushed them back, letting his hand linger on my cheek for a half a moment and our gaze was connected. I tossed my head back laughing as we began to sing the chorus together again. We were moving around the room together and acting as though there wasn’t a care in the world, although there was. I was able to forget the baby, the awkward dinner with my stepmom the other night, how Clara and Alex’s newfound love was worrying me, and every other worry that could ever cross my mind. I could stay in this moment, dancing with my best friend forever, just make this song never end, and I’d be happy. I felt the air whip through my hair as he spun me around, it was a blissful feeling.


Sadly, the song came to an end, but the moment wasn’t sad. Alex had just finished spinning me into his arms, holding me close, and we were now facing each other. “It’s all about us,” we sang to each other, as we gazed into each other’s eyes. Our faces were inches apart. My fingertips had a burning sensation in them, Don’t do it, what about Beckett? I told myself as I fought the urge to kiss him.


Just before the urge got too strong, we both smiled at each other and burst out laughing.


“That was fun!” Alex was the first to talk. I was hoping this was one of those moments Alex couldn’t read my mind, though I wasn’t sure those happened too often, we were such close friends. I didn’t want him to find out what I was thinking of.


“Yes it was!” I said laughing. “Dance just like that with Clara, she’ll have a blast.”


“Okay, I’ll try.”


“If you can do it with me, you can do it with her.”


“No, I don’t know for sure if I could,” Alex said sitting down on the couch, drinking some water.


“Alexander Dean,” I said surprised at his lack of confidence. “Why can’t you?”


“With you, it’s easy.”


“What about with Clara?”


“No, nowhere near as easy as it is with you. I guess it’s just because I get so nervous.”


“Don’t be. Don’t get nervous with her. I know relationships are intimidating, but one of the best qualities is confidence.”


“Thanks Tawny,” Alex gave me hug, “that helps a lot.”


The author's comments:
This is a part of a story I am currently working on. Alex had ask Tawny (his best friend) to teach him to dance so that he could impress Tawny's best friend Clara at homecoming. Tawny is dating Beckett, and this is the result of their dance lessons.