Mr. Soul mate | Teen Ink

Mr. Soul mate

By Softballlover3015 SILVER, Holland Patent, New York
Softballlover3015 SILVER, Holland Patent, New York

"It doesn't matter how old you are. It only mattes how much effort you put into it and what that effort accomplishes you" --Coach C.

Two arms wrapped tightly around my waist as I shut my locker. The hallway was empty which was strange. At first, I let the moment linger and then I snapped my head around and confronted whoever was touching me.

"I'm sorry." said the most gorgeous guy in the entire world as his arms withdrew from my body. He was perfect, but I can't remember what color his eyes were or his hair. I don't even know if he was taller than me or not. My tongue was swollen in my mouth.

"I've been waiting awhile to do that." he said. I was so confused by the whole situation that when I finally regained my voice I sounded like a total brat.

"Who are you?" I blurted out. The guy smiled like what I had said was funny.

"I'm your soul mate." he said simply. My heart was already picking up speed like someone had thrown it at my face.

"No seriously." I said. If this guy thought that line was going to win a girl, he was completely right. I was flattered.

"I am serious." Mr. Soul mate said. My eyebrows tipped to one side. Who was this guy?

"I don't even know you." I protested. Mr. Soul mate just smiled.

"But I know you. You're Leah Harter, sixteen years old. You play softball and you're really good at it. You're smart, funny and beautiful. Best of all, you are mine." he declared. My face must have been the brightest red. How did he know all of this?

"Have you been stalking me?" I asked. He shook his head and laughed. It was the kind of laughter that made you want to laugh along with him.

"No, it's like I said I'm your soul mate. I'm supposed to know all of this stuff." My apparent Soul mate said. Every sensible thought I had ever should have been telling me this guy was a creep, but there was nothing.

"Shouldn't I know that stuff about you?" I asked. He simply shook his head and his eyes twinkled. "So Mr. Soul Mate why have you decided to pop up now?" I said. For years, I had wondered where my love was going to go like any girl would. I hadn't expected anything like this.

"Well, I got a little lost. It's okay, I'm here now. It was good that we didn't meet too early because that would have ruined everything. Sixteen is a good age." Mr. Soul mate reasoned. I started walking down the dusty hallways of my school. He didn't leave, but continued to walk by my side.

"That's interesting." I mumbled. This was bewildering. "So what happens now? Do we frolic off into the sunset or go see a movie?"

"It's not our time yet, dearest Leah. We will have some hardships first." Mr. Soul mate explained. Great, I find the perfect guy and I don't get to keep him.

"What kind of hardships?" I asked suspiciously. Normally, that wasn't one of the consequences of having a Soul mate.

"Oh, nothing too bad. I'll make you wonder if I like you for a few months. I'll stick you in the friend zone and then you'll do the same for me. I'll date a few people and you will too. We'll both be jealous and fight. I'll hold you close and say it's alright only to ignore you the next day. Things will change and then they won't. It will all be okay in the end." Mr. Soul mate answered. He was being perfectly serious. Furious, I stopped walking.

"Why?" I asked. He turns his head with a sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Because it's love, dearest Leah. It grows stronger with each fight and tender night. It will be worth it in the end." he said. I rolled my eyes.

"Great, you're a poet too." I muttered. He laughed at me and I had to smile. This guy is pretty cool, I tell myself.

"It won't be long, but our time here has ended. I will see you soon I promise." Mr. Soul mate told me. Then, he kissed the top of my head. That was when I woke up sitting in my bed. It was all just a dream. Sleepily, I checked my clock and realized I was a few minutes late.

"Leah!" my mom called from downstairs. I flipped the covers off my bed and ran down the stairs. A bagel is already set out on the table for me. Mom must have know I was running late. I sat down at the table and started munching away.

"That was for your brother." My mom said putting another bagel in the toaster as I munched away.

"Sorry." I said with a full mouth. It sounded like "Barely" instead of the actual apology. Mom rolled her eyes. I'm not on her good side today.

"They sold DePeras' old house to a couple from Syracuse. I heard they have a few kids and a son your age." Mom said trying to spike an interest.

"That's cool."

He is out there and he will find you when it is time.