A Proposal | Teen Ink

A Proposal

March 18, 2012
By KatAnne SILVER, Meadville, Pennsylvania
KatAnne SILVER, Meadville, Pennsylvania
8 articles 1 photo 165 comments

Favorite Quote:
http://teenink.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/128063/Sweet-Sixteen/
http://teenink.com/fiction/romance/article/129766/It-Just-Happened/
http://teenink.com/fiction/romance/article/162872/Forbidden-Love-and-Great-Adventure-Part-One


For months I'd been begging him to find a place where we could watch the sun set. I had it set in my mind that it was the romantic thing for couples to do. We ended up at the Old Huffton Lumber Mill. From the parking lot of the mill we were able to see the entire city. The sky was beginning to turn navy blue, and the city lights dotted the sky like stars.

Lucas and I used to go here when we were younger, and it was like we were teenagers again- sneaking out and staying up late. We were sitting on the hood of his car. My bare feet were the only things keeping me from sliding off the front of the car and onto the dirt road. I rested my head on his chest, and timed my breathing to his heartbeat. Ba-boom... ba-boom... ba-boom... We were so comfortable there staring up at the sky watching the sun set. A pink haze slid across the sky and the sun slowly slinked behind the clouds. After a while I felt Lucas trying to get something out of his pocket. I sat up and wrapped a blue blanket around my shoulders, and looked at him for a while.

Lucas really hadn't changed much since senior year. He was still built like a cross country runner, long and lean. His dark, wavy brown hair was still messily arranged on his head, except for the gray flecks growing in behind his ears. His eyes still remained that same Granny Smith apple green, but his smile had changed. A small silver scar arched around the left side of his mouth distorting his smile ever so slightly.

He sat up and light a cigarette, and then slid off the hood. He examined the grill of his new Mercedes and scraped a bug off. He walked to the trunk, popped it, and brought me another blanket. A chill rattled through me before he could get the blanket around my shoulders. I shivered and he said, "You really should have brought a jacket with you."

"Why would I do such a ridiculous thing like that when I have a walking space heater?" I asked as I pulled my blankets up under my chin and tucked my feet under the edges. The soft knit of the blanket warmed my toes and kept the chilly wind from tearing straight through me.

He stubbed out his cigarette and replied "Touche." He paced back and forth from one tree to a fence twenty feet away. He kicked up a brown dust cloud as he went.

"Give me one of those." I said, pointing to the box of cigarettes he was tossing back and forth.

He pulled a cigarette from the box, handed it to me, and held his lighter out for me. "I thought you didn't 'get' cigarettes."

"I don't. They disgust me." I replied. I inhaled and then exhaled a perfect grayish white smoke ring.

He watched me intently, amazed by my new talent. "You never cease to amaze me." He said.

"I aim to please." I said. I stubbed my cigarette out and gave it to Lucas, and then he tucked it behind his ear for later. He took the corners of my blankets and wrapped them around me even tighter and then hugged me. I could smell his cologne. It was barely there, but I could still smell it on his skin. His black t shirt was soft against my face. He hugged me tighter until he said, "I am constantly amazed by you. Every. Single. Day. It is like I meet you again every morning. I wake up one morning and learn that you take a mixture of milk and chocolate-caramel coffee creamer on your cereal, but you drink your coffee black. The next I learn that you do not wear a single ounce of perfume but your skin still smells like honey and lavender. The following day has yet to come but what I do know is that I want to spend the rest of my life learning something new. I've been carrying this ring around with me for a month now, and I've beeing waiting for the perfect moment. He got down on one knee and proposed. "Will you marry me?"

My heart began to beat out of my chest, my hands began to shake, and I suddenly became unbearably warm. My vision blurred so that all I could see was Lucas kneeling in front of me. He was on one knee with the biggest smile on his face. I felt my lip begin to quiver and I managed to squeak out a "Yes."

Lucas stood up and slid this beautiful sapphire and diamond ring onto my finger. "This was my great grandmother's ring." He said.

"It's beautifully perfect." I replied.