Pulchritudinous | Teen Ink

Pulchritudinous

By JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

Oh gosh. I'm such a geek. Why did I say that?

I'm staring at my feet and he's probably trying to figure out what's wrong with me...Except that he's so nice he won't even say anything and then it'll just hover between us awkwardly whenever we talk.

Why can't I just be a normal teenage girl? You know, just call him cute and bat my eyelashes, maybe throw in a giggle for good measure.

But no.
Why me?

I had to be looking through my trusty pocket thesaurus earlier and then the word just came out all by itself.

No, of course I couldn't have just said, "you're cute." God forbid it be that easy.

Pulchritudinous.

I finally work up the nerve to look up at him.

He's not looking at me... Oh gosh, he probably thinks I'm a creep...

Wait.
He's looking through his bag.
He's pulling out...

...his pocket dictionary.

I forget to breathe a little.

There's a tense moment (or am I just imagining it?) as he turns through the little pages, eyes flitting across the paper...then...

Oh no. Here's the moment of truth. Then...

He looks up at me and grins. Says, "thanks."

My heart pounds as I finally exhale.

And after a moment, he adds, "You know, you're pretty pulchritudinous yourself."

As soon as I saw the word in MY pocket thesaurus, I was inspired to write this!

Callaghan PLATINUM, Medford, Massachusetts

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
-Marcus Zusak, The Book Thief

SO MUCH LOVE!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

This may be one of the greatest things I've read on here - definitely the greatest romantic one. I love the suspense and the voice, and especially the part where he pulls out his pocket dictionary. So epic. :)