Dandelions and Daisies | Teen Ink

Dandelions and Daisies

By Adela Kemp BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Adela Kemp BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

As I woke up that morning, I thought everything would be the same. A boring, non-enthusiastic day, as it always was. I rolled over in bed to see my alarm clock say 5:21am. Way to early to get up. The aroma of coffee and cinnamon rolls made up for the time, so I rushed downstairs, still in my pajamas. “That’s funny,” I said aloud. “We never have cinnamon rolls and coffee on Tuesday.”

When I got to the kitchen, I found my mother, Lucy, and my father, Mike, sitting at the table. They were talking to my sister and grandparents.
“Mimi, Papa? What are you doing here?” I said aghast.
“Hi, Cassy,” Mimi said. “How are you?”
“Fine, I guess,” I said, without much enthusiasm.
“We are here because---,” Papa started.
“Because we wanted to visit you all,” Mimi interrupted him. “We haven’t seen our adorable grandchildren in a while.”

Something didn’t seem right: coffee, Mimi, Papa? What was going on? Why hadn’t Papa continued his story? Hmm, something was definitely not right.

I ate breakfast in silence, waiting for someone to say something. Nobody did. I carried my plates over to the sink and went to my room, pondering over the events of the morning.

I got ready for school quickly and then hustled downstairs. My mother took me to school and we talked about the mornings events.

“Mom, why is Mimi and Pape really here?”

“They already told you, Cassy. They came to visit with you.”

“But something doesn’t seem right!” I complained.

“honey, I can’t say much more. Please, we’re almost to your school.”

I sat there hoping school would lift up my spirits.

. . .

Judy met me at the large red doors that led to our school. She had been my best friend for as long as I could remember, yet somehow I just couldn’t tell mer about this morning.

During my last class all I could think about was what I would do at home. I thought about fishing with Papa, or redecorating my room with Mimi. Then they might tell me why they were here. Maybe we could make milkshakes and sit on the porch relaxing.

The last bell woke me up, and I walked home alone, passing by Lake Richter. Lake Richter was one of the bluest lakes on the East Coast. When I got home, I went inside and called for my family, but no one answered.

I searched through out the whole house, and still I didn’t see anyone. Where were they? There was no note, so they must not have gone shopping or walking.

“Mom!! Where are you guys?” I yelled with fear.

“Had something happened?” I thought. “Oh, Lord, please don’t make something bad happen.”

I heard knocking on the front door and ran with joy, knowing it was my family.

“Are you Miss Cassandra Florence Tardino?” a policeman asked.

I responded, “Yes…why?”

“you are to come with me…now.”

“Why? What is it? Is it my family?”

“Just come, Miss,” he said, pulling my arm and leading me away from my New York home.

“Wait! Wait! Please, let me get some of my belongings!”

“Fine, but hurry. The boat is waiting.”

I wondered what boat the young, stiff policeman was talking about as I hurriedly gathered my stuff. I took a picture of my family, paper, a pen, clothes, and some food to eat.

I locked up the house, hoping to return soon. I left a note for my family as I followed the policeman. Each step led me farther away from the only home I knew.

. . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . .

Because of me not having my sea legs, I got sea sick. “I miss my family,” I thought. “Where did they go to?”

“Excuse me,” I said, as I bumped into a young man.

“You OK? You seem to be very sad,” he said.

“I don’t know where my family is, and I don’t know where I am going. I’m Cassy,” I said, babbling on and on. He got a few words into the conversation, and said his name was Jack and we were heading toward an island.

“Jack, where is my family?”

“my guess is that they have also been sent away.”

“But why have we been sent away?”

“The governor’s have gathered and decided to lower the population. Some people, like you, are being taken to far away island, less populated than others.”

“Oh,” I said my face turning into a frown.

“Everything’s going to be okay. I have gotten permission to go with you and help you along the way.”

“Me? Why…”

“LAND HO!!” a look-out man yelled.

“Cassy, grab your stuff and hurry. I want to show you something.”

Jack whisked me away and showed me the island, slowly coming into view.

“It’s so beautiful,” I said staring wide-eyed at the big, green trees and lush fields coming into view.

“I think my family will enjoy you,” said Jack. “you probably need more clothes, though.”
“Well, I won’t be trouble for them.” I said
“don’t worry. They’ll love you. With your silky, soft, brown hair, your blueish-grey eyes, and your rosy cheeks, who couldn’t help but falling in love with you?” he said blushing.

“Thank you,” I responded with amazement at what I had just heard him say.

“Please, grab onto the railing as we are about to dock,” said the captain.

“Hold on tight!” Jack said, as he put his arms around me, protecting me from whatever dangers came our way.

“Wow, he is so sweet,” I thought, watching the island come closer to us.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Wow! There are so many people here. Where are your parents, Jack?”

“Well, my house isn’t too far away, so we’re going to have to walk.”

“OK. But first, can you show me around?”

“Sure. I’d love too,” he said walking along the dirt road.
. . . . . . . . . . . .. .

“Wow. My old room was never this big,” I thought, as I unpacked my things.

“Cassy,” Jacks mother, Mrs. Johnson, said. “Dinner’s ready.

“coming!” I said, as I changed into my best dress and went downstairs.

“Thank you for the room. Evverything would be great, if my family wre here.” I sighed.

The dinner consisted of cookies, milk, cornbread, spaghetti, and some blueberry muffins. It was delicious. We all talked and enjoyed the meal provided by Mrs. Johnson.

After dinner, I cleared my plate and decided to do some exploring of my own. I first went to town and visited the post office. It was on the main street which was only dirt. They told me it was 5 cents to send a card by boat. That sounds reasonable I thought. I decided to send a card home, saying:

‘Mother and Father, I have been sent away to Staten Island. I have met a nice young gentleman named Jack Johnson. He has provided me with food and clothes and a place to live. I love you and will take good care of myself. May God Be With You,

Cassy Florence Tardino.’

I sealed it with a kiss and a rose petal, praying they would get it.

As I continued on my way, I passed a field over grown with weeds. I wnet into the field and found an old abandoned home. It smelled quite bad, but I decided that I would clean it up and use it as my get away spot, where I could remember my parents and pray for them.

I got back to Jack’s place around 5:00 PM. It was a little later than my usual curfew.

“Cassy! Where did you go?” Jack asked concerned.

“I went for a walk and lost track of the time, sorry,” I replied.

“Well, where did you go?”

“Oh, around town. Quite a beautiful place here.”

“Well we worried sick about you,” Mr. Johnson exclaimed. “You could have been hurt.”

“Please forgive me. I assure you it won’t happen again,” I said.

“Alright, everyone,” said Mrs. Johnson. “I;m sure Cassy’s had enough for one day.”

WE all went upstairs to our rooms and got ready for bed. While I was getting ready, I heard a knock on the door.
“Just a minute,” I said wondering who it was. “Coming!” I finally said.
“Sorry to disrupt you, Cassy, but I wanted to say good night and give you something,” Jack said, pulling out a box tied with ribbon.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Open it,” was all he replied. I opened the gift and found a necklace with a rose on it.

“Wow, it’s gorgeous,” I told Jack. “Thanks!”

“You’re welcome,” he said, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I blushed as I shut the door. “He likes me! He really likes me” I thought, as I fell asleep on my bed.
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

“It’s so could out,” I thought shaking. Why I chose to get up so early and go to the home in the field, I do not know. I could’ve gone later, I guess, but something seemed to be calling me there. Even thought I knew I could be late getting back to breakfast, I still moved on.

I worked hard, humming the tune my mother sang to me as a child. I swept off the floor, made the bed, straightened the desk, and picked some dandelions and daises to put in a cup on the table. I left the house, proud of my accomplishments. As I was shutting the door, an old woman, with green eyes and white hair, approached me.

“Hello,” I said. “How are you?”

“Very good, and you?” she said in a crackly voice.

“Doing well, too,” I replied.

“What are you doing with the cabin?”

“Why, I am fixing it up,” I said, “so that I can come and relflect on my family.”

“I am glad to see someone is finally doing it,” she said. “May I see?”

I showed her what I had done and she said it looked great. She asked why I was here, and I told her of my family.

“I am sure you’ll find them,” she said.

“Thank you. I’m sorry if I amay sound rude, Madame, but I really must be going,” I said, aware it was about breakfast time.

“Okay, Miss, maybe we can meet tomorrow?”

“Maybe…I’ll check. Bye!”
. . . . . . . . . .
I got home just in time. No one was awake, so I decided to wait by the fire in the living room.

“Mornin’ Cassy! Hope we didn’t keep you waiting,” Mr Johnson greeted me.

“Not at all. I have just been sitting here, enjoying the fire.”
“Well, breakfast should be fready in a few. Hope you like bacon and eggs.”

“I sure do. Do you need help?”

“That would be great. Thanks, Cassy.”

“No problem.”

Breakfast was ready in a few minutes, just as promised, and everyone sat around the table, enjoying the meal I had helped prepare.

“This is wonderful. Thank you, Cassy,” Mrs. Johnson said joyously.

“Yes, thank you,” Jack said, smiling at me.

“You are welcome. I couldn’t have done it without Mr. Johnson’s help and guidance.”

“Well, I hear you need new clothes, Cassy. How about us girls get out and do a little shopping?” Mrs. Johnson asked.

“Why I would love to,” I replied. “Let me get changed and we can head out.”
. . . . . . . . . . .

“That dress is simply beautiful. The grayish-blue brings outyour eyes,” Mrs. Johnson complimented me at the dress shop.

“I think you should get the red one, it looks great on you,” I said.

“Really? OK. I guess I’ll get that one. How about you?” she asked.

“I’ll get this one,” I said, pointing to the one she suggested I get. “Thank you.”
. . . . . . . .. . .

When we got home, I went upstairs and tried the dress on. “I wonder what Jack will think? I hope he likes it,” I said silently to myself.

CAssy. I have something to ask.”

“Yes, Jack. Come on in.” He entered the room quietly with something in his hand.

“CAssy, will you marry me?” he asked kneeling and giving me a diamond ring.

I was totally surprised and paused to rethink the question he had just asked. Had he just asked me to marry him?

“Why, Jack, I…I..,” I stammered. “Yes..yes, I will!”

“Oh, Cassy, I love you. I am so glad you said yes,” he said, kissing me passionatlely on the lips.

“I love you too, Jack.”

“I have another surprise for you, but you have to come downstairs. Someone is here to see you.”

“Who? Who is it, Jack?”
“You’ll see.”

I walked downstairs, wondering who had come to see me. As I turned the corner, I saw who it was: it was my family.

“Mom! Dad!” I ran over and hugged them both.

“CAssy! I knew we would find you!” my mom exclaimed.

“How? How did you find?” I asked puzzled.

“The letter, Cassy, we finally got back home and found your note and the letter,” my father said.

“Where were you?: I asked.

“It’s a long story, honey. Why don’t we talk about it over dinner?” Mimi said.

“Okay, but first, I have to go see someone. Oh, and by the way, I’m engaged!” I said rushing out the door.

I ran to the field and back to the cabin. I saw a note in between the dandelions and daises saying:

‘May god be with you and I hope you find your family.

-Madame Francis’

I didn’t see Madame Francis, so I left her a note saying that I had found my family and was engaged. I signed it, saying I hoped to meet her again soon.

Then I left and headed back to the Johnson’s home, knowing everything was going to be okay and that I would have a story to tell about my voyage into the unknown.

Story about a girl whose family is displaced during the war. She loses track of her family and is taken away to an island where she meets Jack, a kind gentleman. Story set in an earlier time period.