The Animosity of a New Love | Teen Ink

The Animosity of a New Love

By Butterflyele BRONZE, Center Harbor, New Hampshire
Butterflyele BRONZE, Center Harbor, New Hampshire

“Girls are like apples...the best ones are at the top of the trees. The boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples that are on the ground that aren't as good, but easy. So the apples at the top think there is something wrong with them, when, in reality, they are amazing. They just have to wait for the right boy to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree...”

My cheeks burned a fiery red as I felt his gaze lock on my jaw. From the lunch seat next to mine, he turned his shoulders towards my body and narrowed his eyes at me. I glanced up at the rest of the table, half hoping someone would notice and half praying they wouldn't. Not one person was looking at me, except for him. I drew in a shaky breath and turned towards him. His eyes rose to mine and we stayed in that position for a few blissful moments until my logic kicked in and I widened my eyes in horror. This was not supposed to happen. This is not allowed to happen. No. He cocked his head and gave his little half-smirk, as if reading my mind. My fingers shook and my heart was pounding. I turned back to the table, surprised that not one person had looked our way. After a moment of trying to compose myself, I spun back to those stunning green eyes and sucked in a breath. Damn. It was all over. I had lost this battle the minute I gave in and looked into those eyes. There was no way I was getting around this. I was in love with my new best friend, and there was nothing I could do about it.