Just Coffee | Teen Ink

Just Coffee

By mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California
mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California

"Extremist have shown what frightens them most: A girl with a book"
-Malala Yousafzai

Just Coffee…
I waited, as patiently as I could as the women in front of me couldn’t decide.

I waited for what seemed like forever. But how long could I wait for! How long could she possibly take!
“What would you recommend?” asked the painfully annoying women. I rolled my eyes at the girl behind the counter, she stifled a laugh. But that was the exact problem; she wasn’t just the girl behind the counter. She was the girl with the perfect brown hair she always kept in a neat ponytail, the girl with hazelnut brown eyes as creamy as the very coffee she brewed, and most of all she was the girl I thought I loved.

Before her I didn’t believe in love at first site. Hell, before her I didn’t even like coffee!

“Nonfat with whipped cream” Finally! She’s done!

“What will you be having?” said the girl who I now know and love as Taylor.
“Same old same old?” I answered.

She laughed “I’m guessing that would be the same coffee you get every morning?”
“Of course!” I answered enthusiastically.

She brought me my chocolate mocha with extra whipped cream and a shot of caramel espresso.

“So how’s my favorite coffee addict?” she said teasingly. It was true, but at the same time it wasn’t. For the year she had worked there, or more for the year I had loved her I’d come into to that little coffee shop almost every day. I didn’t see those iced coffees in the summer and peppermint mochas in December as my everyday coffees. I saw them as our iced coffees walking hand in hand downtown, our peppermint mochas sipping them under a blanket around a fire laughing…smiling.

“The usual, trying to get by on a college salary, your coffees aren’t helping” I answered with a cocky smile.

“Well in that case” she said jokingly taking my coffee “you’re cut of.” I gave her the best puppy dog face I could muster. She laughed, her perfect laugh.

“See ya’ later” is what came out.

“I love you” is what should have.

But as usual I walked to the door, raised my glass to her and pushed it open; that’s all it was.
Just Coffee…

Bucket List #78: Fall in love, I hope it will feel as strong as this.

lucille54321 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Knowing is better than wondering, waking is better than sleeping, and the biggest failure beats the hell out of never trying.

Hey--this is really good! I liked the description a lot.

-Malala Yousafzai

Thank you so much for your feedback, i 4got to mention in the author comment for you guys to please comment!

Nerdydancin BRONZE, Redlands, California

Live like you'll die tomorrow; learn like you'll live forever.

- Ghandi

Great piece!!! You have a few punctuation and technical errors, but keep posting and you'll get better. Good luck!!!