Kissing Contract | Teen Ink

Kissing Contract

By Lets_call_me_Lily DIAMOND, Auckland, Other
Lets_call_me_Lily DIAMOND, Auckland, Other

They'll call it chance, or luck, or they'll call it Fate.
- Neil Gaiman

All Sue wanted was a kiss. One single kiss – it didn’t even have to be a proper one; a peck on the cheek would do. But nobody, it seemed, had even the slightest inclination to do so. Even on Valentine’s Day. So she, being the sensible, straight-laced girl that she was, had decided to approach the subject in a more traditional way, and take matters into her own capable (she thought) hands. Armed with a silk dress, red petticoat and a white glove (to slap him with, in case of…things) as well as the knowledge that she had him trapped either way with her proposal – if he refused, he owed her a kiss, and if he agreed, well, wasn’t kissing an ordinary, anticipated part of being engaged?

She approached.

This was written on the 29th February, which is the traditional(and only)day when women used to be able to propose marriage, rather than the other way around, in English. The challenge was to fit in a proposal, a red petticoat, a kiss and a silk dress into one paragraph.

- Neil Gaiman

I quite liked the title as well - I think I came up with it before I actually wrote this. It was originally a writing exercise for English, where we had to say all that in one sentence...but I liked this format better. I know a lot of people don't like brackets, and dashes, but for some reason I use them quite judiciously!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I think the title drew me in more to what I thought it would be, not what it actually was.  I'm not crazy about it (that's just my opinion and the types of writing I like), but it REALLY is a very interesting topic and format. You did a great job staying loyal to your prompt, and, overall, I enjoyed reading it. Good job.