The Cliffs of Moher | Teen Ink

The Cliffs of Moher

March 16, 2014
By Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
39 articles 0 photos 131 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl


The wind sent my hair into orbit around my face as I stood on the edge of one of the Cliffs of Moher. Waves tumbled and crashed against the cliffs below me as if they were reaching up to touch me. Birds cawed to one another as the danced in the dark blue sky above. The golden rays of the setting sun glance off the raging waters and warmed my face. I forced myself to breath deeply as the beauty of it all overwhelmed me. The smelled and taste of the air will forever be remembered and the allure of this place will forever be seared into my brain. How could such a beautiful scenery be the site for such dark events?

Fortunately, I stood alone on the Cliffs of Moher. There were no loud tourist here to gawk at the bare-footed woman in the old white dress grasping a broken locket in her trembling hands with tears rolling down her red cheeks. I was alone in my sorrow and I was thankful for that. This is where he stood that night when it had happened. That bleak night where another man came to him and forced him over the edge. I attempted to imagine how he had felt. Had he been overwhelmed by the beauty of this place, but then overwhelmed by the terror of being engulfed by the dangerous waters below? The image of the magnificent waves devouring him caused my tears to turn to sobs and I fell to my knees.

My knuckles turned white as I gripped the broken locket between my fingers. I had to let go, but I didn't want to forget. I had to forgive that man, but I didn't want him to be relieved of his suffering.

The golden sky turned to purple, but I still lay on the cliff, weeping on my knees. Finally, for the first time since that night, I whispered his name. It was quiet but it seemed to echo off the cliffs. I said it again and the noise pounded against my eardrums. I continued to say his name until the tears had ceased and my trembling body stilled.

Slowly and laboriously, I rose to my feet, the locket now laying in my palm. Wind pulled at my dress as if urging me on. I smiled softly and said his name once again and with one final thrust, I sent the locket into the air. I watched it fall closer to the waters below and one final tear wetted my cheek as the waves accepted the locket. It seemed as if the wind and the waters below had stilled with my heart and I for once since that dark night, I felt at peace.


The author's comments:
The Cliffs of Moher are in Ireland which is on the list of places I want to visit.